WHNerd

Tow Valve Sundstrand

WHNerd

1969 GT14, I'm unable to turn the tow valve.  Anyone have a secret to unfreeze that little sucker?

stevasaurus

What kind of wrench are we looking at here.  I have a 1/2" head on my 876.  I think some are Allen Head, etc.  Which one do you have.??  :)

953 nut

On the GT-14 the tow valve is a "T" handle at the top, if the packing nut under it is backed off a turn or so it may turn easier.

tow.jpg.0def7a1ce80346ae0afc0db21f2009dd.jpg

• Like 2

daveoman1966

Vise grips TIGHT onto the round stem (not the T handle).  Give it a QUICK rap and it should break loose. 

Maybe use a crescent wrench on the Hex nut  and remove the entire valve assembly. i

220 026.JPG

220 030.JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

WHNerd

I've got the hex nut loose, but it's the valve itself I can't get out.

Thanks

Sarge

Start soaking the valve shaft with a good penetrating oil such as AeroKroil, ect, for a few days - it will eventually come loose. One of the best tools I've found is an automotive stud remover - the T-handle style above will require driving out the pin first, but this tool grabs the round stem very well. If whatever method you're using is starting to mangle the shaft, stop - let it soak more before snapping that thing off. Once broken, removing that valve becomes a lot more complicated in a hurry. Same with the older style slotted head valve stems, patience is the key. I have had to heat the valve shaft on more than one Sundstrand, but that will require new seal rings - available from LJ Fluid power if you have the part numbers/drawings for your transmission. Many require removing the nut completely to get the penetrant down where those seals rest, just fyi...

Sarge

daveoman1966

The best penetrant I've ever found is FREE-ALL.  Its a little pricey, but hasn't failed me yet.  Auto parts stores or Amazon.  

WHNerd

Thanks for your help.  I sprayed PB B'laster, left soak over night and was able to get the valve out today.  I'd say the valve was hardly, if ever used since 1969;-( 

OBTW Dave L, I bought a Sundstrand 90-2046 Hydro from you about 10 -12 years ago and it is still going strong, I put it on my 1968 Electro, plowed a lot of snow with it, plowed, disc, and cultivated my garden.  That is a great WH!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1