Mike'sHorseBarn

Lyme Disease - Anyone Here Ever Have It?

Mike'sHorseBarn

Yesterday I was diagnosed with lyme disease after a positive test. I'm just thankful to know what is going on with me as I haven't been able to walk in 2 weeks. I just hope the meds they put me on will have me fixed up good enough that I can enjoy the big show. I have a 953 to deliver to @953 nut so I will definitely be there, but if my condition does not improve I will just drop off the tractor and come back home and that is not what I want to do. Anyway, does anyone here have any experience with this disease so I can have an idea what to expect? This is putting a damper on my tractor projects lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

posifour11

Check out my thread in the bumps and bruises section. I'm about to finish my round of antibiotics. 

• Like 4

Sarge

A good friend and fellow Laborer here got it last year - spent 3wks in the hospital and finally got to go home. He still has some weakness and issues from it, but seems to be slowly getting better with time. Crazy that one little insect can cause that much damage, but they sure can and do...

I have noticed that it seems like no two people are affected the same way - yours sounds pretty severe and you might want a second opinion on treatment options, it's definitely not something to ignore or screw around with.

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

I had it and my dad had it.....yeah check out posi's thread. I was on a four week treatment of doxycycline and some other meds.  Worse part was no adult beverages for a month but knocked it right out. Never got sick or anything. Got real lucky as missus noticed the bullseye on my back.   I caught it in early stage one, that's the key getting it diagnosed early ...and having a doc that has seen it a lot.

Hope yer feelin better ...Get well soon Mike!

Edited by WHX19
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

posifour11

Looking back, I do think my soreness in my back was really a symptom of the Lyme disease. (I've gotten used to having terrible back pain because I broke a part of my back that will keep breaking, forever.) It was more like soreness and aches than the normal stuff. 

I'm not as young and headstrong as I was as an ignorant kid. And it's a good thing. Not long ago, I would have gritted my teeth and kept running headlong into the same tree, expecting it to fall eventually. 

The rest of the story, I'll post in the "older type people" type section. 

• Like 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I just hope the meds they put me on will have me fixed up good enough that I can enjoy the big show. I have a 953 to deliver to @953 nut so I will definitely be there,

Mike, you just concentrate on getting well. I don't want you to worry about the 953. You are close enough to the Big Show that I could make a little road trip if needed.

In the event you are well enough to make the show we all look forward to seeing you there.

5b06e1d674208_Getwellredtractor.jpg.27125d888ff5ab299c7b997b385f9884.jpg

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

SPINJIM

Had it twenty-some years ago.  Lucky they caught it early.   Went through three different antibiotics, two of them at the same time.  Only symptom years later is tractor fever.  Get well soon. Hope to see you in June.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

pfrederi

Had it two years ago.  Went to Dr. for annula checkup but I had been really tired and my knees were much worse than usual.  I was thinking it was just old age.  She ordered blood work ad it turned out to be Lyme.  Never had the bullseye rash.  A month Of Doxycyline and blood markers went back to  normal and knees got better Then this spring go to Dr. for routine check up lab work shows markers have come back.  Another month of Doxycycline.  Make sure you get tested every year from now on to make sure it stays gone....  And yes you can get it all over again there is no immunity.

What really irritates me is you can get Lyme Vaccine for your pets.  A few years ago there was a human vaccine but the producer decided it wasn't worth the potential lawsuits as it wasn't 100% effective (What is??)  and there were the usual side effect nausea head aches etc...  THANK YOU DAMN LAWYERS

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

WHX??
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

don't want you to worry about the 953. WHX19 will pick it up and take good care of it...:lol:

Edited by WHX19
  • Haha 5

Rob R

YUP 2 weeks on Doxicyclene (spell) and you'll be fine.....MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT RELIGIOUSLY AND DO NOT SCIMP ON  THE 2 FULL WEEKS! 

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I had lymes myself many years ago. Get on the antibiotics and you will be fine. Once in a while on my yearly bloodwork my dr. checks for lymes, but it has never resurfaced. You will be ok Mike.

Glenn

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Well I am on doxy now and my ankle has gotten better to the point where I can walk with a limp. Thank god! I will be missing the centre hall show up here this weekend, but I should definitely still be coming to the big show. 

Thanks for all the info/support guys!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi
12 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Well I am on doxy now and my ankle has gotten better to the point where I can walk with a limp. Thank god! I will be missing the centre hall show up here this weekend, but I should definitely still be coming to the big show. 

Thanks for all the info/support guys!

One thing I learned about Doxy the is second time around (first was in the fall)  a side affect is increased sensitivity to sunlight.  i got bad sun poisoning this time as it was spring and I had just started to get some sun tan.  Use a hat and plenty of sunscreen!!

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

One thing I learned about Doxy the is second time around (first was in the fall)  a side affect is increased sensitivity to sunlight.  i got bad sun poisoning this time as it was spring and I had just started to get some sun tan.  Use a hat and plenty of sunscreen!!

Will do! The doctor did warn me about increased sun sensitivity. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Digging this one out the cellar as it's that time of year again and since most of us are the outdoors types.

Sadly I got nailed again, second time in as many years. 

To show how small them buggers are. 

Have the missus look you over good for the tell tale "bullseye". 

The sooner you get the cure the better. 

20220509_081423[1].jpg

20220509_081828[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

davem1111
15 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Digging this one out the cellar as it's that time of year again and since most of us are the outdoors types.

Sadly I got nailed again, second time in as many years. 

To show how small them buggers are. 

Have the missus look you over good for the tell tale "bullseye". 

The sooner you get the cure the better. 

I've had Lyme twice.  Flat on my back for a week the first time, about 25 years ago.  Not as bad the second time, about 10 years ago.  Still have joint pain flare-ups which I think are related.

I have 2 itchy red spots from recent tick removals and have had at least 5-6 attached already this season. Have probably removed another 10-15 from my clothing, and at least 20 from the dogs.  

I hate those things.  Burn them on the gas stove or with my small torch if I'm in the garage when I find them.  :angry-screaming:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

rmaynard

Had a friend my age who did not know that he had Lyme disease. That was back in 1990. He had all the symptoms of Lyme, but diagnosis then was not as good as now. He was thought to have MS and therefore not treated for Lyme. Without proper treatment, the disease settled in his brain and eventually he succumbed to it. Early diagnosis is critical.

Fast forward to now. My youngest grandson had a bullseye rash last summer. We discovered it while on vacation, so he didn't see his pediatrician until two weeks later. Blood test showed Lyme. So he did two courses of Doxy. Now almost a year later he still complains of aches and pains, but tests have ruled out active Lyme, even though his doctor says that blood tests will continue to show Lyme anti-bodies :scratchead:. At age 9 going on 10, I think he's experiencing growing pains but what do I know?

• Like 1

rmaynard
2 hours ago, davem1111 said:

... have had at least 5-6 attached already this season. Have probably removed another 10-15 from my clothing, and at least 20 from the dogs.  

My son has his yard treated by an exterminator to kill ticks (among other pests).

• Like 1

davem1111
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

My son has his yard treated by an exterminator to kill ticks (among other pests).

I've heard that Guinea Hens are good at eating ticks, but we never got any.  We used to have chickens till the hawks and foxes devoured them all - after that we gave up on trying to keep any kind of birds.

My wife would likely not approve of whatever chemical that exterminator uses. She has compromised immunity and is very sensitive to any pesticides, etc. 

Thankfully, she doesn't mind checking me (and the dogs) for ticks. :lol:

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

here in Hudson Valley NY its everywhere -- major health issue - parents have to do head to toe check of kids every evening after they are outside -- and today there was major news story out of Connecticut re: a Tick Borne disease - many people don't realize there are many, many tick borne diseases other then Lyme - - this is called Powassan -- Yikes !!!!

• Sad 1

davem1111
5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Had a friend my age who did not know that he had Lyme disease. That was back in 1990. He had all the symptoms of Lyme, but diagnosis then was not as good as now. He was thought to have MS and therefore not treated for Lyme. Without proper treatment, the disease settled in his brain and eventually he succumbed to it. Early diagnosis is critical.

Fast forward to now. My youngest grandson had a bullseye rash last summer. We discovered it while on vacation, so he didn't see his pediatrician until two weeks later. Blood test showed Lyme. So he did two courses of Doxy. Now almost a year later he still complains of aches and pains, but tests have ruled out active Lyme, even though his doctor says that blood tests will continue to show Lyme anti-bodies :scratchead:. At age 9 going on 10, I think he's experiencing growing pains but what do I know?

I don't trust their freaking blood tests, especially not then but still not now.  I believe they are looking for a big red flag, which they will find sometimes, but ignoring the signs of less obvious issues, infections, etc.  I think the first time I had Lyme, they gave me antibiotics THEN did the blood test about a week later,  and said it was "inconclusive".  Well, duh.  You just knocked most of it out with the antibiotics. I had the bullseye and nearly couldn't move for a week - I know I had it.  Second time I don't think I bothered with the blood test, just showed the bullseye and got the meds.  But there is stuff lurking around. My wife said the critter that causes Lyme disease has a defense mechanism that kicks in when it senses attack by antibiotics, and it goes into some kind of suspended animation for a while. Then comes back.  What fun. :scared-notify:

Not sure what the grandson should do. Another round of antibiotics? But that causes lots of digestive problems, that can trigger other things like Crohn's disease or IBS.  My step daughter has those now....  :-o

• Like 1

wallfish
5 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I've heard that Guinea Hens are good at eating ticks, but we never got any.  We used to have chickens till the hawks and foxes devoured them all - after that we gave up on trying to keep any kind of birds.

My wife would likely not approve of whatever chemical that exterminator uses. She has compromised immunity and is very sensitive to any pesticides, etc. 

Thankfully, she doesn't mind checking me (and the dogs) for ticks. :lol:

1oppossum.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

I'll remember that next time I'm stew up some opsum shanks. :lol:

• Haha 1

wallfish
19 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I'll remember that next time I'm stew up some opsum shanks. :lol:

What are you doing to those the shanks? What's "stew up" mean up there in WI ? I'm about to call the cops! :ychain:

• Haha 1

WHX??
17 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I've heard that Guinea Hens are good at eating ticks

I have heard that too. 

Had to go Beverly Hillbillies 'Fish since I'm retired and like Squonky on a fixed income. Living on coon shanks, opsum innards & gopher gravy. Didn't go to the doctor for my tick bite a granny down the road poulticed me.....:D

• Haha 1