Al C.

K341 Labors Under Load when Cold

Al C.

I have a Wheel Horse SK486 with a Koehler 341 16hp engine.  Both are in “mint” condition.  I have noticed that the engine seems to labor if I put it to any heavy work immediately after starting.  There is no smoke or coughing, it just sounds like it is working hard.  After five minutes (warm up) the condition goes away and the engine can handle any load without breaking a sweat.  Should I be concerned?  Is this an indication of a problem?   

9AE64964-3C66-43DD-B6FC-20CD44D19A02.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

It sure is a nice looking tractor.

• Like 1

squonk

Give it a little choke and see if it runs better. My C 160 does that at first also. After a few minutes take the choke off. A cold engine wants a richer mixture. 

• Like 3

lynnmor

You could clean or change the carb jetting to get a little richer mixture.  Of course you shouldn’t work any engine hard till it is warmed up.

Gasoline that is not watered down with ethanol will also give a richer mixture.

• Like 1

Al C.

Thank you for your responses.  I’m glad to hear this is not likely a problem.   The suggestion of simply letting the engine warm up is my preference.   I can usually spare 3 to 5 minutes after starting it.   Again, thanks for taking the time to share your opinions.