Brent Fabian

My K91T runs!

Brent Fabian

After we concluded the ignition system was to blame for the problems, I looked around to find a solution. I found a website where I can buy new parts, but I couldn't wait for shipping. My father insisted there was a conversion kit to get rid of the points, but I couldn't find anything. Lastly, I went to my spare Kohler engine. My brother also has a 1960 wheel horse like mine, but his had a seized engine so he swapped it out, but he left the engine on a shelf. I went to that engine, pulled the points, the magneto coil, and the condenser off of it. I figured they were messed up too, but it was worth a try. Amazingly, after a quick shot of starter fluid, it cranked right up! It smoked a little bit, but it was fine. Then a leak appeared in the float bowl so I shut it down before something caught on fire. Can't wait to get the gas leak fixed and get it back to it's former glory!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:WRS:

10 minutes ago, Brent Fabian said:

he left the engine on a shelf. I went to that engine, pulled the points, the magneto coil, and the condenser off of it.

See, he wasn't a hoarder, he was saving that engine to become an organ donor for your engine.     :ychain:

The fuel leak is probably an indication of a bad needle and seat which will be included in a carburetor kit.

• Like 2

Brent Fabian
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

See, he wasn't a hoarder, he was saving that engine to become an organ donor for your engine.     :ychain:

The fuel leak is probably an indication of a bad needle and seat which will be included in a carburetor kit.

No the leak is coming from the gasket between the float bowl and the carb. When we cleaned the carb, we kinda just crossed our fingers and hoped the old cracked gasket would hold up. I was wrong. So now I just pulled the entire carb off the other motor and we will swap that one on hoping that float bowl doesn't leak. If it does, I'll have to find the part number of the carb and find a new gasket 

classiccat

Nice job getting her purring again!

+1 on what 953 said... I'd also give the float a shake when you have it apart again; it may have a pinhole preventing it from shutting-off the fuel.