twisted metal

Steering wheel removal

twisted metal

I need to get the steering wheel off my 754 to replace the gas tank gasket. I have had a puller on this thing since winter and from time to time spray

with PB blaster and give a few taps with a hammer and it hasn't moved any. The steering wheel is in great condition so I don't want to do anything

to damage it. Any ideas?

squonk

I’m assuming you took the roll pin out that holds the wheel on. You may need to use bearing separators to grab the metal part of the wheel and a big honkin puller connected to the separators 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ol550

If all you intend to do is replace the gasket just leave the wheel on. I have found the biggest problem is getting the base plate bolts out.

• Like 1

wallfish

Not 100% sure of the bond they used for that steering gear at the bottom of the shaft.

If it has a roll pin, knock it out and remove the gear.

Most likely that steering gear is welded to the shaft, so carefully grind off the weld beads and remove that gear. Do your thing and weld the gear back on or drill a hole and use a roll pin just in case you want to do it again

:twocents-02cents:

Without a shop press, some can be very difficult to remove from the shaft

• Like 2

WHX??

Rule of thumb is early 60 roll pin mid to late welded but that rule has been known to go right out the window. Can you pull the whole shaft out with tank attached and get it in an H press somehow? Not real familiar with the two piece tanks.

• Like 1

953 nut

As Mike said, presuming the roll pin is removed you may have better luck making the steering wheel move down the shaft first. Support the fan gear support that the shaft goes to with a jack stand which will need to be supporting the weight of the tractor. Use a short pipe or other item that will fit over the 3/4" shaft and drive the steering wheel down a bit. Once it is moving a little it will be easier to pull.

• Like 5

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:  Use emory cloth to cleanup eh steering shaft below the wheel before you start.

• Like 2