Lane Ranger

B-100 Automatic Oil Seal

Lane Ranger

Sometimes you just need the original part~!

My neighbor has a B 100 automatic (1975 0r 1976) that I sold him five or six years ago.    Good running and mowing tractor which is his primary usage for it.

He had a leaking right rear axle from the oil seal and needed a replacement. 

NOTE:   The boo boos on the red coated seal are only from my oil seal removal tool after taking it out!

He went to another friend in town that works on these (use to be a Wheel Horse service person) and had the seal changed with the  replacement number seal   CR 9878 as Toro no longer carries  the #100607 original oil seal used on this tractor model (and from what I researched only five Wheel Horse models used this seal).   The new seal  did not correct the leak that had started on the right side of the transmssion.   So to keep mowing for a week  my neighbor created a "collection bucket"  to hand under the axle and collect the regular dripping transmission fluid.

He told me about it and I did some research on the parts lists for the B-80 and B-100 and found out to my surprise the B 100 automatic had its own unique oil seal parts number  (#100607).   So I tried to find one otr two.   I was able to locate two online sold on Ebay.   Still in original package and shipped for a total cost of $15. I ordered it and told my neighbor Tom that  we were going to change the seal to one of these new ones as there had to be some difference.

I did not know for sure but after removing the newly installed  CR 9878 seal i placed the original type #100607 next to the CR 9878.    You can see at lease two major differences.  The #100607 had a thicker wall  and it has the rubber type seal materail at teh outer wall of the metal band around the seal.  The original 100607 actaully has two lips on the inside.  The CR 9878 is not as deep on the side walls and does not have the second rubber lip.

Before removing the CR 8778 it was still leaking fluid from the axle housing.

After installation the leak stopped and was dry around the oil seal.

029.JPG

030.JPG

031.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

035.JPG

036.JPG

037.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

Thanks for the good information

• Like 1

gwest_ca

And an earlier 5958 WH seal was replaced by the 100607

Garry

• Like 1

squonk

@Lane Ranger that 100607 crosses to a Napa 15142 1.5" ID X 2.5" OD :banana-wrench:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

pfrederi
51 minutes ago, squonk said:

@Lane Ranger that 100607 crosses to a Napa 15142 1.5" ID X 2.5" OD :banana-wrench:

That is why I do not trust NAPA at least CR9878 is the right size.  Old seals were a lot thicker heck some of my old tractor seals were leather and felt.  With new thin ones just doubling them with some grease in between usually works. 

• Like 1