Jeff R.

C120 hard starting issue

Jeff R.

I have a C120 at my parents house that only gets used every month or two and is very hard starting.  I replaced the fuel line from the tank which is under the hood to the fuel pump, then from the fuel pump to the carberator.  Additionally, I put in a new in line fuel filer.  None of this helped.  The vent on the gas cap is clear.  I tried the old trick of spraying gas. Into the carb and it started right up, but. Would. Cut right off when it ran out of gas.  If I get the air compressor out and put a rag around the opening to seal it somewhat and hit it with two short low pressure blasts - it will start up and contumely to run on its own power.  You can mow and it never misses a beat.

this past weekend it would not start - so I hit the tank with a one second blast Of air and it turned over twice and fired right up.  I am leaning toward replacing the fuel pump, but would like to hear from the experts first.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

pfrederi

Fuel Pump is possible but compressed air may damage it.  Also could be the float needle is getting stuck when it sits.  Since you tank is above the carb you really do not need a fuel pump most the time...Bypass the pump run fuel line from tank directly to carb.  Keep the tank pretty full and see if problem resolves if it doesn't float valve is probably sticking and carb cleaning is in order.  Gravity is far more reliable than fuel pumps.  I f the yard you mow is reasonably level you may never need replace the fuel pump if it is bad.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I'm going to give a second vote along with @pfrederi   on the carburetor cleaning.

• Excellent 1

953 nut

One of the biggest contributors to fuel related problems is th Ethanol our wonderful government seems to think we all need in our gas. It ruins rubber parts and leaves behind deposits that foul up the small passages in the carburetor and fuel pump. Once you have gotten the system corrected be sure to use only ethanol free gas. This site will tell you where you can buy it.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Excellent 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

One of the biggest contributors to fuel related problems is th Ethanol our wonderful government seems to think we all need in our gas

Can't wait for all the E15 which seems to be coming soon. :ychain: Imagine the havoc that will cause which will certainly be ignored again and then they'll tell us how super wonderful it is

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Can't wait for all the E15 which seems to be coming soon. :ychain: Imagine the havoc that will cause which will certainly be ignored again and then they'll tell us how super wonderful it is

I have a 2014 Kia which is still in engine warranty and strictly forbids E15. Hopefully other manufacturers will Lobby against that.

moe1965

Might be sucking air from a bad hose clamp?

• Like 1

953 nut
47 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a 2014 Kia which is still in engine warranty and strictly forbids E15. Hopefully other manufacturers will Lobby against that.

I fear that the Corn Belt Lobby in DC is a bit stronger than the Kia Lobby.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I fear that the Corn Belt Lobby in DC is a bit stronger than the Kia Lobby.

I fear you are correct

• Sad 1

Jeff R.

Thank you kindly for all of the responses.  I am going to bring this tractor to my house next weekend and will bypass the fuel pump to see if that is the issue.   If not, I’ll order new carb gaskets and will proceed there next.  I’ll be sure to post my findings.