wheelhorseman

Wheel horse planter in action

Skipper

Very nice! 

Sorry the noob question, but what is the thing you have hooked up to the front?

• Like 1

wheelhorseman

It is a power take off unit farmers would buy this back in the day to put on their Wheel horse so they can use the elevator tractor out in the field

F1360463-1ABF-412B-8948-11A7739D253F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wheelhorseman

Here is my other video of the PTO 66 in action

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Awesome video of the planter!! Wonder if it would do better if you had the fertilizer box full? That would add some weight for down pressure on the drive wheel.

wheelhorseman
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

Awesome video of the planter!! Wonder if it would do better if you had the fertilizer box full? That would add some weight for down pressure on the drive wheel.

It would help some but I think the problem is the  geometry of the planter hitch notice the plate on the front and how it’s allowed to swivel or hinge? Next time I’m going to clamp the plate to the front of the planter frame so it can’t swivel I think it will work better.

• Like 1

Achto

After watching again I see what you mean. Having it mounted solid should improve things. Plus fertilizer that may get left in the box likes to rust things out in a hurry.

• Like 1

Herder

That's an awesome clip.

• Like 1

c-series don

I have that same planter, it's N.O.S has the row marker all the seed plates too!! They are very rare, I've only seen a handful in all my years of horsing around. Nice video thanks for posting! 

• Like 1

wallfish

Thanks for sharing!

Curious why they didn't put shallow paddles on the wheel. Or would that just dig the seeds back up?

• Like 1

wheelhorseman
17 hours ago, wallfish said:

Thanks for sharing!

Curious why they didn't put shallow paddles on the wheel. Or would that just dig the seeds back up?

I know what you mean (like ground driven sickle mowers and such) maybe some old planters had them but I also have a Brinly planter and it also has a smooth wheel that drives the planter and it works good so I personally think the slipping problem is the hitch - if it was ridged (like the Brinly) the front would not dive because of the hinge design and it should work fine

5AB0EC5E-33EE-40A2-83F0-8C5B5B7E7309.jpeg

Edited by wheelhorseman