Joshua Hunt

Engine Dies Reverse To Drive

Joshua Hunt

Just looking for a consensus or for anyone that has had a similar issue.  Battery is approximately 8 years old.  Its been a charger a lot lately and has improved a bit.  Mowing last night, engine starts, drives, blades engage fine in forward (2nd) gear.  Shift to reverse and everything still fine.  Push clutch in and the instant the tractor is moved from reverse to 2nd gear the engine idles down (shuts off).  I can instantly start it back up and continue mowing.  Any thoughts?  Thanks to anyone for looking.

WHX??

What model we talkin here? I can tell you If any GT battery is 8 years old it doesn't owe anybody anything unless you got a really good one. Doesn't sound like the battery is your issue tho.

• Like 1

Joshua Hunt

I am not 100% sure but will gather whatever information I can find.  It is a 1970ish 8speed (Maybe 1973)  I will post back this afternoon.  Thanks for the reply.

953 nut

I don't think pushing the clutch in is killing the engine unless there is a frayed wire near the clutch mechanism somewhere. If properly wired the clutch safety switch is only connected to the stare wiring. 

Could it be that you are moving around enough that the seat switch is killing the ignition with the PTO engaged. Try doing the same thing with the PTO lever pulled back.

Joshua Hunt

The tractor is a C-100 8 Speed with Kohler 10hp.

Joshua Hunt

Clutch in, shift to reverse, then move in reverse no problem.  Clutch back in, shift into 2nd and dies before clutch can even be released.

Edited by Joshua Hunt

Ed Kennell

Help me understand this.

With the engine running, the PTO disengaged, and the clutch pushed in.

You shift in and out of reverse, first, and third and the engine keeps running.

As soon as you shift into second, the engine stops

Is this what I am reading?

953 nut
27 minutes ago, Joshua Hunt said:

Clutch in, shift to reverse, then move in reverse no problem.  Clutch back in, shift into 2nd and dies before clutch can even be released.

If I an not mistaken there is a plate that the shift lever comes up through.   Just a wild a$$ guess, the seat switch wires could be routed in such a manner that they are being pinched and grounded by the shift lever as you go to second gear. Pull the plate off and take a look.

• Like 4

Joshua Hunt

I'm all set.  Thank you everyone for your comments.  Safety shut off that was bypassed connecting behind the seat was disconnected.   Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1