Sign in to follow this  
a.dumont

K482 Governor Leak

a.dumont

My 1973 Automatic 18 (D-180) with a K482 is leaking oil by the governor arm. I have the Kohler repair manual, but it doesn't go into component service. Anyone with experience on this? What kind of seal goes there?

pfrederi

275055S is the aprt number.  My SKF interchange doesn't find it and NLA from Kohler  Edit Technically "Backordered"

oil1.JPG

oil2.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Also stuck out at Federal Mogul (National)  and Timken

timken.JPG

wallfish

Is that part just an O-ring?

Or would an O-ring work?

pfrederi

Went down to look at myD200.  It is faces in and your really can't see it.  There is an oil feed line to the governor so there may be some pressure in there.  I would think an oring would just blow out.  Looks like mine seeps some also...But then most everything I have has some seeps/drips. Oil is cheap and nothing I own will rust out on the bottom:P.  I suppose you could pull the seal for measurements but then you would have to find something.

• Haha 2

Sarge

My K482 seeps just slightly at that same point - I'd suspect those tiny needle bearings and seal are the culprit, just enough wear or hardening of the seal to create a problem. I had looked up those parts before and completely struck out trying to find replacements. I had checked with my local Kohler rebuilder - he can't get those parts either and said that shaft leak is very common. 

I'd bet the only chance to fix it would be to overbore the hole if there is enough material - replace the seals and bearings with larger diameter ones to fit, not an easy solution but probably would work. That twin K governor is pretty complicated, but at the same time, quite bulletproof in reliability.

Sarge

a.dumont

Bought a square-cut seal kit from Harbor Freight for $5. Had what I needed. Cheapest fix I've had on this so far.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

Should have taken pics, lol - those governors are rarely ever removed or taken apart for repairs as most just never seem to fail or leak. Had this engine been sitting for a long time?

Sarge