Dakota

Wheel horse 8hp 4 speed

Dakota

Hello everyone I just bought a wheel horse with a Kohler 8hp and a 4 speed trans (3 forward 1 reverse) for what I thought was a great price. $100! It runs and drives, shifts through all gears, starts right up. The ONLY problem I have found so far is the belt slips when in 3rd gear which I assume is due to a worn/stretched belt. That brings me on to a few questions. First of all based on the pics what model is it? It has the Kohler 181 8hp I believe. Second what size drive belt would it have and where would I get one? Third, how good of a reputation does the Kohler 181 8hp and the 4 speed trans have?  And fourth, what are the wires for come out of the back of the tractor in the 5th pic? I think it’s acually for a trailer because it hooks of perfectly to the first 2 plugs on a stadard 4-flat on a trailer, and the wires lead to a toggle switch labeled “lights”. And finally 5th, would this make a good plow tractor? And where would I find a snow blade if so? This is my first garden tractor and I don’t know much about the different models so any help would be great. Thanks!

7FC4B31D-7BDD-4F7B-B1E0-69D254172FD2.jpeg

D85F7AE4-D761-43DD-A856-9A66BD957FC7.jpeg

65BE3EFD-96D5-4D3A-9526-D04E566BEC36.jpeg

FA5D4968-F401-469D-8CF0-600226D60BCD.jpeg

63199E1A-B070-4B57-8BA5-3520A5E7EFA6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Dakota

Ok, based on the reasesrch I’ve done it doesn’t acually have a model name. It’s just called the wheel horse 8hp 4 speed. The serial number matches up too and it it’s a 1973 model. 

• Like 2

rjg854

@Dakota :WRS: that's a fine tractor, it'll push a snow plow easily.  Really nice looking for just a hundred bucks, especially hearing that it runs and drives good.  Sounds like a real fine deal, you got. Look in the manual section for your model number and the drive belt size should be listed there.  Maybe someone else might know it off the top of their head.

KC9KAS

@Dakota :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

I have a B-80 (same basic tractor as yours) and it is a snow pushing, garden plowing machine!

I do have fluid in the tires and chains for added traction. The Kohler engines are very tough and reliable, as well as rebuildable!

953 nut

:WRS:

This manual will come in handy as you go along.  A good place to look for a snow blade would be in our classified section, just post a wanted ad.  http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/wanted/     

Retired Wrencher

@Dakota :WRS: These fine little tractors. I had one for years did everything I wanted done with it. Enjoy.

Dakota

Thank you everyone for the info! Sounds like I got a nice tractor for a good deal. I’ll definitely check out the manual section. @953 nut the link you posted is for the 8 speed model, is it the same for the 4 speed model as well?

Edited by Dakota

Herder

:text-welcomeconfetti:Nice tractor, $100 is a great price for one that runs and that's in usable condition. This website is packed full of info and others guys that help to share it. Best of luck. 

DennisThornton

You got a bargain! 

I predict that you will love it! 

Dakota

One more question, I was looking at the tractor and found a small metal block that was located under the dash, it has 2 wiring hanging that go to nothing. I later found out by looking at the wiring diagram that it is the rectifier, I kinda know what it’s for but not completely. Should it being disconnected be something I should worry about or try to fix?

Dakota

@953 nut I looked at the diagram and the rectifier in between the ignition and the coil is disconnected on mine, should it be something to be concerned about?

ebinmaine

@Dakota

Quite a tractor there you've got for $100. Great find!

I have a 1974 b80 that is basically the same thing that you have there.

In regard to your rectifier question. Yes, you do need to fix that!

In its original Factory state, the rectifier, or voltage regulator, is what changed the voltage coming out of that engine from over 30 volts ac down to approximately 13 or 15 volts DC.

It's possible that someone has changed in an engine that will output the correct voltage but...

It is most likely that your engine is putting out far too many volts for that battery to be absorbing safely.

Dakota

@ebinmaine thanks for the info! So just be sure I hook it up inbetween the coil and ignition like wiring diagram says?

Edited by Dakota