WHX??

The Dynamic Duo

Achto
52 minutes ago, WHX17 said:

Gotta wonder whats causing this geometry issue?!?!?

20180520_161045[1].jpg

I've been thinking about how those wheels are both angled the same way. Kind of reminds me of how graders can change the tilt of their wheels.

images.jpg.b6aa69bebd17017e23ccf8a8c94dcf23.jpg

Maybe the blade is just on the wrong tractor right now? :lol:

• Haha 7

ACman

Sweet score Jim :handgestures-thumbupright: but you’re still on a odd number @WHX19 ..... :ROTF:!!! I just quit counting . 

• Haha 4

squonk

With all the stuff you saw off you can scrap it and get 2 free tractors! :)

Save me a chunk.... It may have been to Lambeau. save some for @stevasaurus too! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??
1 hour ago, squonk said:

may have been to Lambeau.

Could be Mike.... I had Dan take this pic when we were crossing the Fox River but he didn't do a very good job...I had to blow it up and crop it....... he was more interested in the prison on the other side of the road! :laughing-rolling:

20180520_114412.jpg

20180520_114409.jpg

Edited by WHX19
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

608KEB
4 hours ago, WHX19 said:

@Achto and I took a little ride to title town this weekend to pick up this pair. Pretty much gave the seller asking price for the 1277 and he threw in the 1077. Both are far from pristine with the usual PO wonderments! Very savable tho. Both run and drive.

20180520_160035.jpg

20180520_160021.jpg

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy?😂

• Haha 5

Rp.wh
4 hours ago, WHX19 said:

20180513_134417.jpg

Look at that steering wheel!!!! Hope you save me that hah

WHX??
2 minutes ago, Rp.wh said:

Look at that steering wheel!!!! Hope you save me that hah

Find me an original like the 1077 has and it's yours! :lol:

• Like 1

Achto
3 hours ago, WHX19 said:

he was more interested in the prison on the other side of the road! :laughing-rolling:

Couldn't help it. It reminded me of home. :ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Shynon
6 hours ago, WHX19 said:

Something every horse should have ....The I have no idea what these are for brackets... least he's got them on both sides...perhaps the remnants of a heavy duty cup holders?!?!? 

20180520_160458[1].jpg

Jim those may be some left over brackets from a cab. 

• Like 2

WHX??

That had crossed my mind Tom, or some kind of windshield? They appear to fairly well made and uniform. They are welded to a cross bracket that is mounted to the two 5/16 under the dash. No harm was done to the :wh: in the making of those brackets.

I don't know if this has ever been discussed here before but Dan and I came up with some plausible theories on the cracked hood stand syndrome and some other issues caused by the same problem. I am going to do some more research and start a separate thread on it if it has not   already been done.

Edited by WHX19

Sarge

The '66 & '67 large frames all had the same issue - they would break the rear mounting plate for the transmission from heavy use/abuse and the rigid hood stand will crack as a result. Same with the center bolt in the belt guard - it will get ripped out or rip the tab off the frame where it's welded. Check the frame plate - I'd bet it's cracked.

Either the front axle is severely worn, or the previous owner was a fan of Road Graders, lol. That can be fixed in a mill with some bronze flange bearings easily enough. I'd bush both steering spindle holes as well as the center hole, doing the center one first to establish a reference point for the steer spindles. If I remember right, they are tipped at 22* inward and 2* rearward. Those larger diameter 2-spoke steering wheels are tough to find, took me a few years to score a decent one, good luck. I love the looks of that model series, between the woodgrain decals and long, narrow hood they just have a very unique stance to them, my favorite model for sure. It's nice to see a pair of them in decent condition, most are far worse for sure. @Vinylguy has all the correct decals you need if you plan to do a restore...

Sarge

• Thanks 1

ezeastside

I acquired a 1077 that had those exact same brackets on the hood stand. Interesting theory @Shynon had about being for a cab.

20180520_160458[1].jpg

WHX??
21 minutes ago, ezeastside said:

1077 that had those exact same brackets

Interesting then EZ the plot thickens. A quick search nothing comes up as a :wh: accessory for those years. Perhaps a dealer available after market  accessory that was available in the day or for later years that could be retrofitted? . I guess those won't be going in the scrap pile then. Any chance @Racinbob can shed some light on those?

43 minutes ago, Sarge said:

front axle is severely worn

A quick look shows a bolt through the front of the axle pin as not should be so who knows without disassembly. The 1277 might get restoed some day when my 10 other projects are out of the shop. :huh: I have no idea what to do with the 1077 as I already have one. Was thinking parts it out but might be a little too savable for that so who knows.

55 minutes ago, Sarge said:

2-spoke steering wheels are tough to find,

I know where there is a couple but I ain't saying...:ph34r::lol:

56 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Check the frame plate - I'd bet it's cracked.

Nope... very sound...  we suspect the cracked hood stand is from other issues, All five of my "67 long frames are/were cracked there but none of them has F plate issues.  Stay tuned for separate thread on them Sarge we may need your engineering skills for a fix.

Sarge

I do plan to fix my rear plate this year, at least I hope so since the thing is now outside under a tarp, which I truly hate. The hood stands can also crack just from frame flex - as well as the belt guard/guide - the frames in these seem to flex worse than later models. I may just try to swap it over onto a 14 Automatic frame I have since they are so close in dimension, need to check a few things first though.

I have already tig welded the cracks in the hood stand on mine and a ratchet strap is holding its spine together at the moment. :wacko: I'd be highly interested in any ideas about fixing the flex issue in these, I love the 1277 and it was my first WH, still my favorite, too. 

Sarge

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I am having some Horse envy right now, I have grown to really like these long frames!! 

Enjoy seeing what the rest of you do to yours so I can have a guide when I get around to restoring mine!! 

Nice find Jim!!

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Another reason why the hood stand cracks there is from heavy lifting from the rock shaft. Either a snow blower or blade with a heavy load or Wisconsiny people yanking 12” plows out of the ground. My 1267 had the same crack and I could see the crack widen when I lifted the snow blade. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ericj
21 hours ago, Shynon said:

Jim those may be some left over brackets from a cab. 

I had an old gray canvass cab that said wheel horse on the doors. it used those brackets for the front cab mount. Good luck and nice hual

eric j 

ezeastside

@WHX19 I didn't scrap the brackets either.

IMG_0955.jpg.0372d110e37cdc767ef87cd279cca6da.jpg

WHX??
14 hours ago, ericj said:

I had an old gray canvass cab that said wheel horse on the doors. it used those brackets for the front cab mount. Good luck and nice hual

Thanks Eric, Mystery solved then EZ..... Now a guys gotta where is the rest of the cab?? :lol:

CasualObserver
5 hours ago, WHX19 said:

Now a guys gotta where is the rest of the cab?? :lol:

It's could be the one for sale not that far from you. :lol: (and it looks like it might be missing those brackets  ;))

cab1.jpg

• Like 3

WHX??

Off to the files to see about a manual! :lol:

ericj
2 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

It's could be the one for sale not that far from you. :lol: (and it looks like it might be missing those brackets  ;))

cab1.jpg

that's what mine looked like

eric j

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Thanks Eric, I found manuals for those. It's  an Allied cab ... but no indication of those brackets in the manual... see what you guys think?

AlliedCabs.pdf

or this one

Cab Snow Allied Original Tractor Cab 1973.PDF

Edited by WHX19