Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Dixon Grizzly/Honda Surging

boovuc

Guys....I need some help from you guys. (I trust the brain-trust here better than the internet at-large)!!!

I bought a used 2005 Dixon Grizzly 60" with the 24HP Honda GXV 670 as it's powerplant.

This 2 barrel carb is surging and I don't have time to tear it apart let alone if I can still do it. (Hand surgery last year left my left hand really spastic to do small parts work). I can't do the wrenching I used to anymore and it's frustrating as all He#@!

I was looking for a replacement carb on Amazon & fleabay but i want to make sure I'm getting a usable carb. My engine model number is: GJAH 1011005.

Needless to say, my engine is vertical shaft. The complete carbs on sale on line just say GX 670. Some that mention Model numbers are not mine but they certainly look like my carb. I used a cheap complete carb replacement to get me through while I got the OEM carb rebuilt on my mother's little tractor last year after the surgery. (Saved on a small engine shop tearing it off and it kept me mowing while they rebuilt it over a few weeks!

Any thoughts? I am mowing an aunt's house that has Alzheimers and I'm her POA. It's 3 acres of flat orchard and way too much for my Wheelhorses to try to take care of. Especially with the way the grass is growing this Spring! Over 3.5 hours just to mow a "decent" amount of it the last time with my 42" SD 310-8. Not much shorter time with my 417-8 with the 48" SD on it. I'm really up against it time wise! Any help from you multi-manufacturer guys is appreciated! This Dixon mows her grass in an hour flat and that isn't going all out. I'm not used to zero-turns and don't want to collide with one of her Apple trees! :P

Thanks!

boovuc

I feel like a leaper on this site.

boovuc

Well for what it's worth.......................the Dixon is running fine now. In the 7 weeks and 12+ hours I have on it, It has had:

1. Both fuel tanks removed, flushed/cleaned. Fuel cap breathers cleaned out. (Royal PIA).

2. New shutoffs to both tanks and all new fuel lines and a new splitter for the combining of the two separate tanks. (Improvement but not near fixed).

3. New Tygon tubing for the smaller lines at and around the carb.

4. New Fuel filter(s) as I progressed to see if there was improvement as I worked from the tanks to the Carb.

5. On still seeing large pockets of air leaving the fuel filter, I replaced the vacuum fuel pump and replaced the vacuum line. (More improvement).

6. Replaced the crankcase vent hose.

7. At this stage, it ran much better but still had a pulsating WOT but now at least it idles and doesn't require choking it.

8. Bought a new OEM carb and installed and it's fixed. (Plus switched it to Av100 gasoline like the WH tractors).

I was able to do it all despite my bum hand. It just took a lot of time to do it and quite a few miles since I don't have a trailer wide enough to haul it so I had to do the work at my aunt's home.

All in all, with the exception of having to adjust the PTO gaps since it doesn't engage until it cools off, I have about $2100 in the unit that has 531.5 hours on it now. (One owner/not used commercially). One Dixon Grizzly locally for sale with twice the hours and the dealership is asking $3500 for it. Same year with the 60" deck. Now this thing just needs to last me a couple years.