702 timmy

c-85 to c-145

702 timmy

I am looking at a c-85 and I am wondering can I repower this with a 14 horse and not have issues or is the transmission to small or weak.  I want to use this auto for snowblowing.  thanks tim

Chris G

You can use that machine for a snowblower the way it is and it will do ya just fine. The transaxle will be just fine with a upgraded engine and as far as a engine upgrade I'm not sure of it being a exact fit. But anything is possible, may just require a little fab work. Others who have more experience with that model will chime in soon. But best of luck to ya.

Racinbob

I didn't think C-85's came with hydros :think:

Anyways, it is pretty simple. I converted a B-80 to a C-160. You'll need the correct race for the PTO. I believe the C-85 has the wobble mount motor. If the 14hp motor has the correct oil pan to bolt it direct that's what I'd do. If it has the pan for the wobble mount I'm not sure what will be needed but it will no doubt be bolt on and simple.

Like Chris said, the 8hp would do fine blowing snow. OK, maybe not as fast as a 14hp but it will get it done. :)

clueless
19 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I didn't think C-85's came with hydros :think:

Anyways, it is pretty simple. I converted a B-80 to a C-160. You'll need the correct race for the PTO. I believe the C-85 has the wobble mount motor. If the 14hp motor has the correct oil pan to bolt it direct that's what I'd do. If it has the pan for the wobble mount I'm not sure what will be needed but it will no doubt be bolt on and simple.

Like Chris said, the 8hp would do fine blowing snow. OK, maybe not as fast as a 14hp but it will get it done. :)

:text-yeahthat:Side note: all the 8 hp WHs with shaker mount used the same engine as the non shakers, same oil pan, they just used four spacers to mount them to the shaker mount.  

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Machineguy
      By Machineguy
      My MF 14 project. My friends uncle bought this new and did several modifications to the hydraulics and added front and rear lifts. Sadly the thing was beaten badly and left outside 20 years. I finally got him to sell it to me after 6 years of pleading. It’s total frame up with a 25hp Kawasaki transplant ready to go in it. I want something a little smaller than my 9020 Powermax that has great PTO power. 

• r1jakecfd
      By r1jakecfd
      Hi Guys,
      The Onan in my 520H was running poorly so last month I took the heads off, decarboned, cleaned/reseated the valves, checked valve seats and reassembled with new gasket set. When installing intake manifold, I realized last year (carb cleaning) I forgot to hook up vacuum line from manifold to gauge. Hooked it up correctly this time and ran great. First blizzard yesterday and started snow blowing. After about 15 minutes the became noticeably louder with less power.
      I was wondering firstly if anyone has any idea what went wrong?
      Also, I was thinking about repowering with a Honda or Vanguard and would love opinions on which way to go? Also, should I go with an engine or kit and which company? I’m good at fabrication, etc.

Thanks in advance!
      Happy NewYear
    • giddyap
      By giddyap
      This is my first born custom and is still under construction. Only one of the hoods, gutted frame, seat tray and seat are from my recently acquired 551 Suburban. A newer 3 speed transaxle and belt guard will round out the remaining Wheel Horse parts. The front axle is flipped and moved forward 6 inches. Its origin along with the tie rods and steering column comes from a 102 Cub Cadet. Taking 2 steps back for every advance is part of the fun. But now I'm at a loss and overwhelmed at all the V drive pulleys available at Phoenix pulleys. Can anyone suggest what pulley I should use with the 13 hp Predator? Thanks in advance

• cafoose
      By cafoose
      I'm thinking of repowering my 1988 520-HC. It runs good I'm just tired of the temperamental and expensive Onan. I would either trade or sell the Onan and I'm thinking of a K-341 16hp. Would that be enough power? I have a 48 inch deck and a 46 inch Ber-Vac snow thrower. I was also checking this thread:

• bmsgaffer
      By bmsgaffer
      I am considering repowering my 522xi (for various reasons, but that's not the issue here) and I need the help of some experienced people. Sorry this post is a bit disjointed, I wanted to condense my thoughts without creating a bunch of new topics. 

I believe that the Kohler CH730 is a near direct fit for the Kohler CH22S that is in the unit, does anyone know this for sure? Best I can tell it is. 

My first issue is with the PTO shaft. The replacement engine I have a lead on has a (proper diameter) 4" long shaft with a 7/16-20 1.5" deep threaded hole on it, the one that came in the 522xi has a 3-5/32" shaft. I am hoping to run it as is, but it looks like it might come dangerously close to the battery, and I dont know if that 27/32" difference will cause the PTO belts to run all amok. 

How does the PTO attach to the driveshaft, just bolted straight on?

If it is an issue, has anyone cut a crankshaft before? If so, how? Will there be enough threads left for the PTO bolt if I don't have the crankshaft re-drilled and tapped?

I called one machine shop that rebuilt my K341 and they said they couldnt do it, but I may check with others. 

Thanks in advance everyone!

I changed the topic title to reflect my project that was based on the original topic.