Sparky

8 speed tranny fluid mixing?

Sparky

The fluid in my C-105’s 8 speed is draining as I type this. Any reason I couldn’t mix gear oil brands? They both have a GL-5 rating.

F157D13A-74AB-4658-8C2B-978108047787.jpeg

953 nut

Image result for my voteOil is Oil!

• Like 8

pfrederi

Dead Dinosaurs are dead dinosaurs...

• Like 4

squonk

Sorta related: My Power King transmission takes a 1/2 pint. It has a mix of  90 Wt., STP and Lucas oil stabilizer. Been in there for 5 yrs.

• Like 2

Sparky

You guys made me laugh!! Mixed it is! 

Has to be better that what came out .

C4C7C3FA-2A75-4117-B727-A3CD18553952.jpeg

06AAEA7F-0C39-4DEF-BF92-80011786D552.jpeg

• Like 2

peter lena

best thing you did was drain out that slurry, don't forget to check out and probably ,replace the shift boot, cause of moisture entry. with the slow speeds that you are moving oil will not wear out, it will contaminate, and hold moisture,. that's your issue. I change mine on a regular basis,  keep it clean and fresh and prevent bearing failure. mixing oils at the same spec and weight is not a problem, trashing your gear box with watered down oil is , you saved it. that gear oil had also flashed/ sheared by the double color look , you are lucky pete 

• Like 2

Racinbob

Love the answers and so true. I'd flush that tranny and add fresh of whatever brand(s), run it for a few mowings and change it again and then as long at it's stored inside you'll be good for years. :)

• Like 3

wallfish

Mixing Oil Brands, You're real rebel Sparky!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

rmaynard

Go for it. Mix away. It won't do any harm.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I never met a smorgasbord I did not like.  :occasion-xmas:  Your transmission will never know.

Dead Dinosaurs are dead dinosaurs...    see you at the show Paul.  :banana-linedance:

• Like 4

JohnBoy

Hi all. This is my first post. I bought a 1989 310-8 last year. The dipstick for the tranny suggests I have this same brown fluid in my transmission. Read posts about flushing with diesel or kerosene. Is this really a good way to go? I was wondering if a flush with a couple quarts of WD40 might work better? I bought some LiquiMolly Hypoid gear oil, but I’m feeling like I should try to flush it out as best I can before I add the new fluid. Maybe I should just drain the old and put in the new, and run her like that for a while. I did order and replace the old torn up boot. I appreciate your thoughts.

953 nut
8 hours ago, JohnBoy said:

wondering if a flush with a couple quarts of WD40 might work better? I bought some LiquiMolly Hypoid gear oil,

:WRS:

I would not use WD-40 as a flush, the diesal fuel will do the same job for a lot less money. Hypoid gear oil is made for posi traction rear ends which produce more heat than most. It won't harm a :wh: transaxle, but it is overkill. Regular gear oil is fine and cost less.

• Like 3

JohnBoy

Great advice Richard! Thank you, and thank you for your service!!

• Thanks 1

WHX??

:WRS:  Johnboy

Yes, Drain oil, fill with diesel or kerosene, run abit, drain, refill with a cheaper gear lube, run some more, drain, refill. repeat until oil that comes out is to  your satisfaction. Then maybe put in your hypoid if you need to use it up.