CountryRock

38 inch deck spindle pulley removal question (pics included)

CountryRock

I'm trying to salvage the spindles from my old deck before I toss it to the road.  I tried using a puller I have to remove the pulley from one and bent the pulley in the process.  What's the best way to get these pulleys off so I can take the spindles off the deck? 

EDIT: We cut the deck to get the assemblies out, still need to know how to get the pulleys off the shafts.

IMG_20180531_125425685.jpg

IMG_20180531_125403886_HDR.jpg

Edited by CountryRock

stumplifter

Not sure if there is much difference between the different width decks.  On mine I use a 15/16” on the top side of the spindle and 1 1/8” (?) on the underside of the blade(s).  The blade can be removed and then the spindle can be wiggled/ gently tapped out. Some times the blade nut loosens but the top side nut doesn’t.  When this happens the blade comes off and there is a hex shaped portion of the spindle that is revealed.

stumplifter

Edited by stumplifter

CountryRock

For reference, this is an early 90s 38 inch side discharge.  05-38SS01 model.  I have a manual on the PC for it but any input is appreciated.

CountryRock

Bump.  Help please.

rjbaldwin51

I have the same deck and needed to remove the pully.  You want to be careful not  to damage the pully because they are hard to come buy.  The pully just slides on the spindle but is probably badly rusted on like mine was.  I turned to deck upside down and soaked the pully and shaft in wd40 for about a week.  I was able to drive the pully off, without damage.  I put 2 2x4s under the pully across the deck and put 2 nuts on the shaft to start and took one off as the shaft went down. It took a lot of time but worked.

Good Luck

• Like 1