JNMULL

Good morning, I have been a long time reader, but a first time poster. 

I have a 1988 Wheel Horse 520HC Tractor.  Does not charge, and I have to assume that it is due to the fuse at the front of the engine being blown.  However if I replace the fuse that is located at the front of the engine, the wire at the voltage regulator will get hot, start to smoke as it melts the wires insulation.

I have not started testing anything yet, as I just have stumbled upon this issue and was wondering if anyone else has had the same style of problem and what kind of repair did you have to perform.

Thanks.

KC9KAS

@JNMULL :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Here is the manual for your machine. Hopefully you can use it to determine your problem. I know a lot of 520 owners have electrical issues with the plastic "9 pin connector", so that may be something you need to look at.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Rob R
      By Rob R
      So... I got cabin fever and against my best judgement, picked up from my brother a 520H Model # 4120OE02; Serial 1033076 (1991) that he got from a Friend who claim it ran but hasn't been used in years and was in dry storage. Included was a 48-inch triple blade mower in very good condition, total cost $250 ..... I figured that even if the tractor was no good the deck was worth the coinage....... and it had a good new battery....... So got it home fixed the one flat tire, replace the cooked fuse in the fuse holder. Cranked the engine over it cough a few times and then quit, was not getting fuel, replace the fuel line from the tank to the pump, pump not pumping, replace it with a B&S pump, cranked her over and she started right up ran and idled decent with no noticeable smoke. p.s. the hour meter is disconnected but you can tell she was run hard and put away wet but overall, in fair to good condition. 

So without doing anything else time for a test drive. It moved forward and backwards took her out into the yard got about 50 feet and the motor started laboring to me was like the transmission was putting a heavy load on engine, I tried to shift into neutral, but it wouldn't let me do that and then the engine bogs down and shuts off. Wait like 10 seconds start her up again and the issue repeats.... In all my years I have never had anything close to this issue hence my call for help.

I did all the normal stuff trans fluid looks clean added some 10-40 weight to top her off, did not change the filter yet as I do not have one in stock.  You can start the engine without engaging the transmission and it will run fine until the cows come home..... put it in gear forward or reverse and it will go an little ways and then the load condition occurs, the engine loads up and is dragged down into a stall. 

Appreciate all your advice as this one has me stumped...... 

• supoc7
      By supoc7
      I have a 1987 wheel horse M10 461521 that has a voltage regulator. Now, all the schematics I've seen show no VR.
      This is supposed to be an unregulated charging system. Now it's charging about 18 volts on a new fully charged battery.
      The VR has 3 terminals H,B,S and the number on it is 1046. I would like to replace the VR but not sure with what. The
      lights only work with the engine running. I don't want to ruin this battery with this high charging rate. Anybody have any ideas
      on whats going on?
    • PWL216
      By PWL216
      Looking for a good to very good condition hood. Thx
    • Truckedup1
      By Truckedup1
      I have a very recently restored 1989 wheel horse 520-HC tractor with 60” deck. Family owned for over 10 years but now it’s time for another project. Please contact me with any questions I have the original 60” deck but it was rough so I sourced the current deck off this site, it really is in excellent condition for not being restored.

• jleitschaft
      By jleitschaft
      Hello All,
            New to the group and looking for advice. My father was a devoted wheel horse enthusiast for many years. He only cut grass with a wheel horse tractor (rear discharge deck) pulling a Parker lawn sweeper. We have a lot of property and it took him a while but he was retired and loved being on the wheel horse. When he got sick, I had to take over all the lawn maintenance. All of our family lives close on the same road. At the time, I was responsible for maintaining 7 properties plus my fulltime job. Using the wheel horse was not an option for me so I bought a commercial zero turn mower.  Unfortunately, in 2017 my father passed away. I have all his tractors and it has been hard for me to think about what to do with them. He had 6 wheel horse tractors total. 3 tractors we used for cutting grass and 3 tractors are show pieces that have never cut a blade of grass. I have a few guys that have been asking me for years to sell them but I am not sure if I’m ready. I am turning to the group because I am lost at what I even have. Its my belief that the tractors are rare and the conditions are mint. If anyone would be willing to express their opinion and provide feedback I would be grateful.
      Wheel horse 420 LSE (shows 7.5 hr)
      Wheel horse 520 hydro (shows 92 hr)
      Wheel horse classic GT (shows 26 hr)