Tim T

Removing Mowing Deck Spindle

Tim T

I have 1984 C-195 wheel horse with 60 Inch Mower deck and want to replace the spindle bearings.  I have all fasteners and pulley off and unable to remove the spindle. I'm trying to drive the spindle from top of deck to bottom of deck but can only budge it 1/8 inch with wood and 2 pound hammer. Is there a trick to removing these spindles?

Edited by Tim T

Ed Kennell

I'm not sure if this is your deck, but if it is, it appears the shaft alone would have to be driven out from either end.  Screw a long bolt in the shaft and tap on the bolt head. After the shaft is out, the spacer can be pushed to the side and the bearings can be tapped out with a punch.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

doc724

There is a trick, but damn, you would think I could remember it.  The spindle can only be removed by tapping it from the top, so I drops out the bottom of the deck.  Do not wack it with a steel hammer, only brass or you will damage the threads.  From memory, I recall there is a small castellated spacer somewhere in the stack in these older decks.  How do I know this, I smashed two of them doing exactly what I told you to do.  Do a search here on RS under implements. I know Davoman recommends whacking and catching the spindle in a coffee can under the deck.  Even if you leave the blade nut on the spindle, you can damage the threads, so be careful

ericj

the 84 C195 used a different 60" deck then the 520's used, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that those decks where made by Areins  ???

eric j

stumplifter

Not sure with an older deck, but are there any collars with set screws that are still holding the spindles?  Seems your wood and hammer technique should have easily popped those spindles out.  

Since you are replacing the bearings you could use a torch and heat them, then spray with your favorite penetrating juice... or try melting some paraffin on it (my favorite trick for stuck bolts).  But given that you are getting an 1/8” of movement I would think you are not seized in the bearing race, unless the bearing is that bad!