posifour11

Throttle cable, heavy wire, vs a cable type.

posifour11

I was working on an old push mower my dad left outside when he died. (How inconsiderate! ;))

I got the new cable (I guess it's called a stop cable or something). And saw how smooth it works. I know it's a new, coated (with something) cable and a new plastic jacket. But, why can't we retrofit these for use in our old tractors with a spring and the friction from the levers?

I'll probably try it at some point with one of my engineless tractors just for fun. 

Anyway, just a thought. :)

wallfish

I've used that type of braided wire on tractors but mostly customs with a foot throttle. It allows for tighter bends since it doesn't have the memory like the solid wire does. It certainly does slide smooth through the conduit. But, whenever replacing cables and conduit, the conduit always gets changed to the plastic inner core type since I bought the 50 ft coil of it from Pat's small engine along with a coil of solid wire.  It does make for smoother operation.

Scroll down, it's $30 + shipping fort the lined conduit.

http://www.psep.biz/store/universal_mower_cables.htm

The throttle already uses the governor spring so the braided wire will work well there but chokes need to be pushed and pulled so it's much easier to just stick with the solid wire. You'll also need to use swivel stops with the braided wire since you can't just Z bend it

posifour11
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

I've used that type of braided wire on tractors but mostly customs with a foot throttle. It allows for tighter bends since it doesn't have the memory like the solid wire does. It certainly does slide smooth through the conduit. But, whenever replacing cables and conduit, the conduit always gets changed to the plastic inner core type since I bought the 50 ft coil of it from Pat's small engine along with a coil of solid wire.  It does make for smoother operation.

Scroll down, it's $30 + shipping fort the lined conduit.

http://www.psep.biz/store/universal_mower_cables.htm

The throttle already uses the governor spring so the braided wire will work well there but chokes need to be pushed and pulled so it's much easier to just stick with the solid wire. You'll also need to use swivel stops with the braided wire since you can't just Z bend it

Thanks, I'm glad someone has thought of it before me. This came to me when I was trying to figure out a better routing than what my b-80 had for a throttle cable that hurt to use it. :)

wallfish
1 hour ago, posifour11 said:

my b-80 had for a throttle cable that hurt to use it

If that solid wire gets a kink or hard bend in it, the friction will make it more difficult to use and feel stiff. Not as bad on the lever style but can be a real pain for the push / pull type. If the solid wire for the throttle is smooth and fairly straight and the conduit is good, you should actually feel more resistance from the friction in the lever which holds it in place to keep the RPM setting. Too loose and it will drift down, too stiff and it's hard to move. 

• Like 1

peter lena

lubricate every friction point, pre lube cable till it drips out of end. check for any binding points. also if installing new cable ,look at its smoothest working mounting point, chances are you can find a smoother " set " for its mounting , making it smooth and easy. a little detail makes it easier. if a linkage is sloppy , a couple of washers , tightening it up , will give you the mechanical advantage. pete

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 5/16/2018 at 4:51 PM, posifour11 said:

Thanks, I'm glad someone has thought of it before me. This came to me when I was trying to figure out a better routing than what my b-80 had for a throttle cable that hurt to use it. :)

Please keep us posted on what you do to fix that. I have the same tractor with the same issue.

peter lena

thanks for the reply, I realize that I often talk about maintenance basics , but its a rarity to see any sign of upkeep on any tractor I see. from broken wheels to shredded belts, from no oil, to rusted / frozen joints, its amazing to watch someone destroy a piece of equipment. Its simple to spot these, problems and make them go away . went to a royal purple , factory field service school, incredible insight and displays from the world. as a group , we were enjoying the get it done approach. I really liked the Indian approach to a well installation, using elephants for all the hole drilling and pump installation. we finished rebuilding 1920,s  steam pump sealing, used in the logging /forestry work. make it better, pete