6bg6ga

Z616 park safety switch needed

6bg6ga

I have an old Z616 Zero Turn that refused to turn over thus requiring some attention. Armed with my VOM meter I set out to see why it wouldn't do anything. Upon a quick inspection I found the parking safety switch to be at fault. This switch looks like a pack of cigarettes with 2 sets of two wires exiting from the bottom of it. One set is for the clutch assembly/blade operation and this set of contacts are open when the parking brake is in the brake position. The other set of contacts when in the brake position allows the starter to operate. The set of wires for the starter operation had broken off the safety switch. The logical quick fix was to connect the start interlock wires together to allow operation of the starter however caution must be employed to make sure that one doesn't accidentally hit the ignition switch when the engine is running.

So, what I need is to be pointed toward someone with a safety switch that I can purchase and if they are not available then I will probably just leave the set of contacts normaled together and simply employ extra caution to be sure I don't accidentally touch the starter when the engine is running.

gwest_ca

This link should bring up all the models.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/search/models/?searchTerm=616-z

Select your model and serial number.

The next page that comes up is the parts list for that model.

There is a box near the top center. Type the word switch in the box and search. All the switches will come up. If the one you need is priced it should still be available from any Toro dealer.

Post the part number you need and will do some more searching for info on it.

Garry

• Thanks 1

6bg6ga

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately the Wheel Horse is older than the oldest Toro model listed. There is no PN on the brake switch assembly on my Z Horse so I would be guessing which switch might work and since they are not available its probably a waste of time to try to push this further. If the whole switch assembly goes south I will purchase an industrial quality micro switch or proximity switch and activate a relay with that. When at the brake position one set of contacts (starter contacts ) are close and the other the ( electro magnetic clutch) contacts are open. When the switch/ brake lever is released the contacts simply go opposite from what they are in the brake mode. Simple to fix. I thought maybe there might be some aftermarket parts available or NOS parts available.

gwest_ca

Believe 1985 was the first. Click on the picture

Garry

6bg6ga

Unfortunately neither file is correct.  I'll just leave it the way it is. It works and I just need to remember not to touch the ignition switch so I don't engage the starter into the engine that has already been started and running. Thanks for the effort:)