Sign in to follow this  
hummod

A Kohler question

hummod

Hey guys,

How are all of you today? I have a question to do with the 12 horse

Kohler on my 312-8. Since I got it last year it has always been slow to turn over.

It usually starts but not without an assist from a battery charger. I have put a

known good battery in it with the same results. Also, before it starts I will slightly

close the choke and the engine sounds like it is kicking back on itself. In the

warmer months I would leave the choke partially closed for one cycle, open it full,

then it would start right up. I do believe I may have a problem with the automatic

compression release. Kohler recommends to check exhaust valve lash and then

pull the head to verify that the compression release is working using a dial indicator. Does this sound like a plan or is there something else to check first?

The tractor runs good otherwise. I have never operated on a horse before. It can't be too much different from the small block Chevys or Dodges I worked on in the past. Oh, by the way the 312-8 is a 1986 with 650 hours. It probably could

use a rebuild anyway.

Larry (hummod)

clintonnut

I had this problem with a cub cadet. Clean your battery terminals really well and if that doesn't work check the ACR (auto compression release)

Charlie

stevebo

Larry,

Not sure on the compression release however from past experience a kolher 12 with only 650 hours on it should not need a rebuild. Others here I am sure would be able to touch on the compression release issue. Good luck-

big mike

First I would download a manual....

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog...clsfam=K-Series

Check all of your electrical connections,starter condition.

If all that checks out then pull the cam cover off and make sure the spring is in place.

If you decide to check the ACR and that is the problem be very aware that the tab can break off and render the cam useless.There is a spec number in the manual that before that point the tab can be adjusted IF the short block/cam/fan shroud has not been changed.

TT

Two bolts and one nut will answer this question: Is the starter any good?

Try the one off your 414 on your 312 and see if it starts easier. If it does, have the 312 starter rebuilt.

If the starter is drawing excessive amps it will starve the coil for power during cranking, resulting in erratic spark.

You can also check the ACR by watching the exhaust valve through the spark plug hole. The valve should briefly "pop" off the seat and return to the closed position for a short time before it opens completely for the exhaust stroke. If you check it that way you won't have any gaskets to replace. :thumbs:

hummod

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is supposed to hit 40 or more degrees this weekend and I may be able to spend some time in my unheated garage. I am

getting tired of the cold. At least we go back to daylight savings time Sunday.

One more sign of spring. I will report back on my findings.

Larry (hummod)

hummod

Well, I went and was finally able to work on the 312-8 today. I was able to verify

that the decompressor was working by watching the exhaust valve through the spark plug hole. The spark plug was very loose (finger tight) and may explain the hard starting. I may need to install a heli-coil. I am afraid to tighten the plug too much for fear that the threads will give out. It still cranked slow so I moved to the starter. It did not take long to see that that was the problem. The starter drive was froze up so the starter was not dis-engaging. The amarature in the starter

is flopping around loose in the housing. This may even be too bad to rebuild. Looks like I will be in the market for a starter. Thanks for the words of advive and pointing me in the right direction.

Larry (hummod)