bo dawg

6100 carb 20hp Onan

bo dawg

Does both the valve inserts come out for cleaning ? And can you buy the top gasket without having to buy the whole kit? I messed it up and hate to buy more than what I need.

IMG_0792.JPG.a41dce61745eb2330c641bcd09e9ccbd.JPGimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bimageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9b

bo dawg

So on onanparts.com I found a gasket that looks like the one I need part# 146-0326 for $16. Anyone know if that's the one that would go with the 6100 carb on the 20hp 520

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

bo dawg

Clean as a whistle now, all I need is a gasket so I can put it back together. 

IMG_0795.JPG

boomers_influence

bo

you have the emissions carb. ( 146-0698 )

the 146-0326 gskt IS NOT FOR your carb. ( it is for the 300 series of carbs )

you need to purchase the 146-0657 kit to get that gskt.

i do have a new gskt for that carb.

651 437 2826 M-F 10-7  S-S 12-6 cent time.

boomers_influence@yahoo.com

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

• Like 2

Searcher60

Where is the accerator pump spring and ball that is used on the emmision carb? Did it fly out when you removed the top? I do not see it in your picture. It will run rich without it.

bo dawg
23 hours ago, Searcher60 said:

Where is the accerator pump spring and ball that is used on the emmision carb? Did it fly out when you removed the top? I do not see it in your picture. It will run rich without it.

I was very slow and careful lifting the top off and looking for anything to fall or move and I didn't see a ball. The top has that post that go's down into the spring hole. Is there still suppose to be a ball?

bo dawg
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, boomers_influence said:

bo

you have the emissions carb. ( 146-0698 )

the 146-0326 gskt IS NOT FOR your carb. ( it is for the 300 series of carbs )

you need to purchase the 146-0657 kit to get that gskt.

i do have a new gskt for that carb.

651 437 2826 M-F 10-7  S-S 12-6 cent time.

boomers_influence@yahoo.com

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

I did find a place that can get the gasket, not sure what the number is but I went with the carb #146-0660 and they pulled it up. $6 and some change. Comes in middle of next week and its 1/2 hr drive away.

How much for the 1 you have? Would it also be the same carb on a 1991 520? I need to work on it next.

bo dawg
6 minutes ago, bo dawg said:

I was very slow and careful lifting the top off and looking for anything to fall or move and I didn't see a ball. The top has that post that go's down into the spring hole. Is there still suppose to be a ball?

The spring is still in the hole on the left side but there was no ball. I don't think with the length of post that gos down into the hole theres room for a ball. Is there? I've never worked on 1 of these carbs.

Searcher60

Look in this link for the Onan 6100 accerator repair kit. There are 5 parts inside the o ring image.  On of those 5 parts is the spring, and another is the ball. Why would there be a spring with nothing to push on? There is a very hard to find exploded view of the Nikki 6100 emissions carb somewhere online that shows the ball and spring installation. This carb will not function properly without all the parts. 

https://www.onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=263

bo dawg
3 hours ago, Searcher60 said:

Look in this link for the Onan 6100 accerator repair kit. There are 5 parts inside the o ring image.  On of those 5 parts is the spring, and another is the ball. Why would there be a spring with nothing to push on? There is a very hard to find exploded view of the Nikki 6100 emissions carb somewhere online that shows the ball and spring installation. This carb will not function properly without all the parts. 

https://www.onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=263

Like i said there is a brass post tuck in the top or carb that gos down into the spring pressing it down. But there was no ball. If looking at the 3rd picture down from top the post on the right gos into that spring.

Edited by bo dawg

Searcher60

The ball should be under the spring. It left the factory with the spring and the ball, and will not work correctly without them. There is no need for the spring without the ball. Also, most likely the accelerator pump diaphram is rotten with holes in it. I have this carb on my Wheel Horse. After replacing my diapham, check valve, o ring, and ball and spring, cleaning all passages, mine works perfect. You are dreaming if you think you can leave parts out and not spend money and it will run properly. However, it will run. Best of luck.

bo dawg
2 hours ago, Searcher60 said:

The ball should be under the spring. It left the factory with the spring and the ball, and will not work correctly without them. There is no need for the spring without the ball. Also, most likely the accelerator pump diaphram is rotten with holes in it. I have this carb on my Wheel Horse. After replacing my diapham, check valve, o ring, and ball and spring, cleaning all passages, mine works perfect. You are dreaming if you think you can leave parts out and not spend money and it will run properly. However, it will run. Best of luck.

I never said I was leaving parts out. I don't know where you got that idea, I'm not dreaming of anything. I simply was trying to find out about it. You didn't see it in the picture doesn't mean its not there. The spring never came out when I pulled the top off. So if the ball is under the spring then it must still be there since I never took it out. But I will pull the spring out and make sure the ball is down there in the hole. Thanks for the help!

onanparts.com

Here is a side by side of the early and late style "Nikki" Onan carb bowl gaskets. One corner makes all the difference! Also is a pic of that itty bittty teeny tiny ball and spring that can and will disappear if you are not VERY careful when cleaning the later style carbs with accelerator pumps. Tip of a ball point pen for reference. :) Ball is attached to the small end of spring and ball end goes in first. The long brass piece on the bowl cover has to go "inside" the spring when assembling.

EarlyLateCarbs.jpg

ballspring.jpg

• Thanks 1

bo dawg
16 minutes ago, onanparts.com said:

Here is a side by side of the early and late style "Nikki" Onan carb bowl gaskets. One corner makes all the difference! Also is a pic of that itty bittty teeny tiny ball and spring that can and will disappear if you are not VERY careful when cleaning the later style carbs with accelerator pumps. Tip of a ball point pen for reference. :) Ball is attached to the small end of spring and ball end goes in first. The long brass piece on the bowl cover has to go "inside" the spring when assembling.

EarlyLateCarbs.jpg

ballspring.jpg

Thank you Mr. Onan, I appreciate that. Yes I did find the little ball attached to the spring at the bottom of the hole so were good there. And the gasket I need is the one on the right. 

IMG_0791.JPG