Firebug

D series no spark

Firebug

Ok guys, I need some direction. One of my d 200s lost spark. I replaced the coil, no luck. Cleaned the points and reset the gap, had good spark there. Replaced the condenser and got it to run. Died after about 30 seconds. Cleaned and regapped the points, no spark, put in new points and still have no spark at the points. So far I’ve replaced the points, condenser and coil and can’t get spark. The motor turns over fine and I have fuel. What am I missing?  I’m sure there’s something simple that I’ve overlooked and I’ll have that ah ha moment. Any ideas? 

953 nut

:confusion-confused:       the ignition switch lead is connected to the "+" side of the coil and the points/condenser to the "-" side, right? If you run a small jumper directly from the battery to the "+" side of the coil that will eliminate all switches etc. that could be failing you.    Hope this helps.

Firebug

Unfortunately my coil isn’t marked positive or negative. I just hooked everything up the way it was when it did run. I have the lead from the points and the lead from the condenser hooked up on the same side. If I jumper from the battery to the coil, do I turn the key over then? How do I do that to eliminate all the other things? 

953 nut
8 hours ago, Firebug said:

If I jumper from the battery to the coil, do I turn the key over then? How do I do that to eliminate all the other things? 

Yes, after the jumper is in place you will turn the key to the start position. Using the jumper eliminates other possible components and connections that may be preventing the engine from running. once we know it is capable of running we can search out any other problems.

Your ignition coil should have "-" and "+" cast into it next to the terminals.

5afab7024d4c1_Onanignitioncoil.jpg.ccef05b46e64da887e33ce78471fb40a.jpg

Firebug

Ok, looking at the picture my coil is a different style that does not have the +/- cast into it. But I still have the same 4 terminals. Assuming the polarity on mine is the same as in the picture, I’m starting to think that mine is wired backwards

Firebug

This is what I have on there, starting to think it’s wired opposite7D201EC3-B073-40BA-B1EF-20C34133A4FD.jpeg.331061d37ac1bf26cd4075ec56663641.jpeg

4C947D2B-3482-48A2-B8B3-63220A192782.jpeg

025B8EFE-FABB-4DF6-A17F-750DE9BFC43C.jpeg

gwest_ca

Have a digital ohmmeter?

Remove all the wires from the coil.

A Measure the resistance between the small terminal on the left to the spark plug wire terminal. Record reading

B Measure the resistance between the small terminal on the right to the spark plug wire terminal. Record reading

There should be only a small difference in the readings. 

If the left terminal gives the highest resistance reading that is the (+) side. If it gives the lowest reading it is the (-) side.

Once you think you have it

C Measure the resistance between the (+) terminal and the (-) terminal and record.

D Measure the resistance between the (-) terminal and the spark plug terminal and record.

E Measure the resistance between the (+) terminal and the spark plug terminal. The reading should equal C and D added together.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Firebug

Well after checking everything it came down to a broken wire in the ignition harness, repaired it and it started right up. Now the next issue is that it idles great but runs like s#{? At higher rpms, I’ll start with checking spark at both plugs and regapping the points. Unless someone has another idea

• Excellent 1

953 nut

:handgestures-thumbupright:      You are on the right track, confirm everything is correct with the ignition before heading ton fuel.

Firebug

Thanks, I’m leaning toward spark/ ignition issue. The carb has been rebuilt and it has an electric fuel pump. Fuel was never an issue when it was running. Not to say something couldn’t have happened in the fuel system. 

Sarge

Have you adjusted the high speed jet on the carburetor? You need the engine under at least a medium load and tune it for the best running condition/sound. There are also a ton of governor settings on that big twin K series, I'd suggest getting the book on them and go through the whole thing to make certain someone hasn't been messing with it. 

Sarge