posifour11

Tick borne infections are no joke

posifour11

I've spent most of my life working or living in the woods or fields, whether doing general army stuff, hunting or living in the country. Until last week, I'd never thought twice about tick besides to spray myself and check when I came back. 

Last Tuesday, I found a tick on my upper calf that I didn't think could have been there long. Removed him properly and went on with life. By last Friday, my entire calf looked like I was beat within an inch of my life. That was also the last day I could keep food down. All weekend (I was at my house out of state that we're selling, so almost no furniture) I spent curled up on a couple blankets in front of a fan or turning it off and on depending on what kind of sweat I was having. 

Yesterday, I felt well enough to drive back home and kept chugging Gatorade and even Pedialyte to keep me going.

This morning, I was waiting at the door of the VA clinic when they opened. Doc listened to what I said, looked at my leg and let out an exclamation I shouldn't type here (he's a vet, too. So, he uses army talk with me:)). I had blood drawn, a B12 shot and a bag of saline right there. I'm now on an antibiotic and I'm supposed to take the max of Tylenol and aspirin allowed for the next week.

So, this is my warning to everyone else that if you have a rash, flu symptoms including dizziness. Get yourself checked out! Mine didn't look like the "bullseye" that is usually associated with Lyme disease. 

For the "too long, didn't read" crowd, I have two things to tell you. 

1. When in doubt, go to the doggone doctor!! 

2. The VA has really started taking care of folks. I only waited 45 minutes without an appointment to be seen in an overworked clinic where everyone was knowledgeable. 

Picture from today. On Friday, the whole lower leg was purple. I've never had anything close to that, even after a wreck or when I broke my back. 

I hope this helps someone.

0514181713.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 4

Sparky

I read the whole post...thanks for the heads up!

Hope your recovery is speedy.

• Like 4

shallowwatersailor

Sorry to hear of your experience. I hope that you don't have any lingering effects. And thank you for the detailed description.

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Good luck Posi... been there. I also spend a great deal of time in tick country and got nailed once. Yup...lyme's and not the East Lyme as in the town in CT Sparkeye.  Had the telltale bullseye and went to the "up north" doc where I got bit and he right off knew what the deal was as he had seen it plenty. He says we caught this real early so the cure was easy. Thats the key he says ...catching it early. I never got sick or anything but the worst part was no alcohol for the eternity I was on the meds! Get well soon! ;)

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:    I was bit back in the 60s when no one knew these little blood suckers carried these diseases.   I had the perfect red bulls eye ring, but thought it was just a rash from the tick bite.   In six months I was suffering from severe migraine headaches, face numbness, depression, joint pain and a stiff painful neck.   Years later in the 70s when the group of kids in Lyme Connecticut suffered these same symptoms, their mothers  made the common link to a tick bite. 

But it was later in the 80s while studying Rocky Mt Spotted fever scientist Willy Burgdorfer found the tick also carried the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.    

After blood tests were developed in the 90s, I was tested for 5 years with 3 positives and 2 negatives.    I was one of the lucky ones that survived without the help of early treatment.

I really believe I have developed my own immunity as I have probably removed 20 ticks since and have not had another bulls eye ring.

Anyway, thank you Posi for the reminder to get early treatment.    These little buggers can be more deadly than a rattlesnake.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

posifour11
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

I read the whole post...thanks for the heads up!

Hope your recovery is speedy.

I'm going to have to answer each post because I'm not smart enough to throw them all in one. And, thanks to sparky and Karl for helping me find my post after I wrote it and lost it! Twice!

• Like 1

posifour11
2 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Sorry to hear of your experience. I hope that you don't have any lingering effects. And thank you for the detailed description.

It all works out. If I'd known what was going on, I would have taken better pictures. :) the credit goes to my wife for browbeating me into doing so quickly. 

• Like 1

posifour11
1 hour ago, WHX17 said:

:text-yeahthat:Good luck Posi... been there. I also spend a great deal of time in tick country and got nailed once. Yup...lyme's and not the East Lyme as in the town in CT Sparkeye.  Had the telltale bullseye and went to the "up north" doc where I got bit and he right off knew what the deal was as he had seen it plenty. He says we caught this real early so the cure was easy. Thats the key he says ...catching it early. I never got sick or anything but the worst part was no alcohol for the eternity I was on the meds! Get well soon! ;)

Funny thing is, I've lived all but about 3 months of my 38 years away from tick country(when I lived in town and couldn't stand it). Even now, I know I'll see a tick when I go outside. I can't imagine the number of ticks I've removed. It's easily in the thousands. This one was just the one that won. 

However, this one is going to make me question ever rash or bruise I have and force me to think about what caused it. 

I'll detail my symptoms later. 

• Like 1

posifour11
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:    I was bit back in the 60s when no one knew these little blood suckers carried these diseases.   I had the perfect red bulls eye ring, but thought it was just a rash from the tick bite.   In six months I was suffering from severe migraine headaches, face numbness, depression, joint pain and a stiff painful neck.   Years later in the 70s when the group of kids in Lyme Connecticut suffered these same symptoms, their mothers  made the common link to a tick bite. 

But it was later in the 80s while studying Rocky Mt Spotted fever scientist Willy Burgdorfer found the tick also carried the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.    

After blood tests were developed in the 90s, I was tested for 5 years with 3 positives and 2 negatives.    I was one of the lucky ones that survived without the help of early treatment.

I really believe I have developed my own immunity as I have probably removed 20 ticks since and have not had another bulls eye ring.

Anyway, thank you Posi for the reminder to get early treatment.    These little buggers can be more deadly than a rattlesnake.

Ed, I hope you don't have residual effects from it. You're probably one of the first to get diagnosed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

posifour11

I'm going to start with what I'm used to, I guess. 

I was injured in Iraq in 2010, so my pain scale is skewed. I have most joint pain. Mostly from from broken vertebrae, messed up knee, etc.

Last Tuesday, I found the tick and properly removed it. I really didn't think about it until Friday. I'm not a "scratcher" if I know I what caused it, so I know I didn't irritate it.

Friday, I took a prospective buyer all over my property, up and down hills. 

Friday night, I baked pork chops since that was the only meat left in that freezer. :D 

Before midnight, I was sure I had food poisoning or the worst case of the flu ever. I was in an air conditioned room, on the floor, turning the fan on and off, depending on whether I was hot or cold that minute, sweating the whole time. That continued until Sunday morning when I knew I had to get back to go to work at 1pm Sunday after a 4 hour drive. 

I can't begin to tell you how many times I stopped. But, I can say it wasn't enough. 

Anyway, by Monday at 8am, my math says I drank 2 gallons of Gatorade and a gallon of Pedialyte.

At 8am, I was waiting at the door of the VA clinic and by 9am, I felt human again. I had a prescription for antibiotics and instructions for everything else. 

I hope that's a good enough idea of how fast things happened. I know I sent the wife a picture on Friday night, but it's lost in cyberspace. 

• Like 2

ACman
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

But it was later in the 80s while studying Rocky Mt Spotted fever scientist Willy Burgdorfer found the tick also carried the bacterium that causes Lyme disease.  Anyway, thank you Posi for the reminder to get early treatment.    These little buggers can be more deadly than a rattlesnake.

Almost lost my daughter to Rocky Mt Spotted Fever. Took a trip to Wyoming and she didn’t show symptoms for a couple weeks after returning home to Michigan. Doctors were baffled as there’s not many cases here in Michigan (3 that year) . Ticks are no joke!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

O2B__

After I got an infection from a tick bite a couple of years ago, we found a spray for clothing containing permethrin that supposedly kills ticks that come in contact with it. As I remember, you spray the clothing and let it dry before wearing. The treatment is supposed to last through a few washings. Checking on line, it looks like there are a couple of brands of the stuff.

• Like 2

peter lena

just prior to getting my other knee replaced, I was suddenly covered with circular body rashes, dr check, immediately stopped my upcoming operation and verified Lyme disease  . put me back a month for operation, in all the years I have been crashing brush /woods I never got Lyme.  needless to say I cover up with a more conscious view of the tick situation . you can't live in a bubble . but you can protect your self better. lets be careful out there, pete 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

posi, you are very lucky to be OK.  Excellent story and thank you for posting it.  I can't tell you how good it is to hear someone say some nice things about the VA for a change.  I just hope there is more of that.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 5/14/2018 at 8:02 PM, posifour11 said:

Mine didn't look like the "bullseye" that is usually associated with Lyme disease

On 5/14/2018 at 9:52 PM, Ed Kennell said:

blood tests were developed in the 90s, I was tested for 5 years with 3 positives and 2 negatives

More food for thought.

Here in Maine there's been reported cases of Lyme with NO BULLSEYE.

Also, there's a woman reporting on a news website that claims she's been tested FOUR times... All Negative.

And has Lyme.

Please be mindful everyone.

My honey and I have been very careful and so far test negative.

We hope it stays that way.

• Like 1

ztnoo

Interesting discussion.

Oddly enough in the only daily newspaper in my county (formerly owned by publishing giant Gannett), this was printed on the Editorial Page today.

I thought it tied in nicely with what has already been said, and would interest everyone who has already contributed here.

5b041521e5a9f_TickeditorialScreenshot-2018-5-22TheChronicle-Tribune-PageA4.jpg.ff0cc9769395aedb2426c643111a09ed.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

According to my Dr.  Only about 75 % actually get the bulls eye rash...I did not.

• Like 1

Exhaust

Glad you're recovering and I'm sorry you had to go through that.  Sounds like a genuine bad time!  My mother in-law also got Lyme disease without a bullseye mark.  The doctor wouldn't believe her until the symptoms became serious.  Lesson for all of us.