Marv

Installing bearings in trans case

Marv

Thought I would post some pictures showing bearing installation in trans case.

DSC03407.JPG

DSC03408.JPG

DSC03409.JPG

DSC03410.JPG

DSC03411.JPG

DSC03402.JPG

DSC03403.JPG

DSC03404.JPG

DSC03405.JPG

DSC03406.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Nice! :banana-wrench:Stick the bearings in the freezer next to the ice cream for a few days and they practically fall  in.

I remember going to school for Chrysler Ultradrive (or as I referred them as Ultraslide) transaxles. There was a bearing that needed to be pressed in with a tolerance so close  that the teacher said took 40 tons on the press to start it in it's bore. There was a reinforcement plate you had to bolt on the trans case to keep from splitting  it. Sure enough 40 tons and the brg. started. I suggested freezing the brg. and warming the case to see how much of a difference it made. Teacher said ok so next day we warmed up the case with a torch and got the bearing out of the freezer. 6 tons! :banana-jumprope:

• Like 4

stevebo

Question is what is the best way to get them out (ones you cannot tap from backside)?

• Like 2

squonk
36 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Question is what is the best way to get them out (ones you cannot tap from backside)?

Try warming the area that the bearing sets in. then hit the case behind the bearing with a mallet or dead blow hammer. They may pop out. Or get a blind hole bearing puller set.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary/hand-tools-and-tool-sets/pid=93989053

Another way is to pack the bearing with grease and use a shaft in the hole and force it out with hydraulic pressure

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4