shunter

K301-47147B not charging.

shunter

My Charger 12 / K301-47147B is not charging the battery, where to start. what the best way to working this problem, needless to say, the battery was new.

thanks

953 nut

With any electrical problem the first thing you should do is ensure the battery (even a new one) is good by having it load tested. Next you should clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. What is the voltage shown at the battery while sitting unused and while running at or near half throttle?

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Wiring diagram here. Click on the picture

First thing to try

With the engine NOT running check the voltage across the battery posts.

Now move the red lead to the 12V DC+ terminal on the voltage regulator. Should get the same reading. If not the wiring between the regulator and the battery in not in good shape. Could be simply dirty connections.

Now start the engine and it the voltage increases it is charging.

Next is follow the service manual to check the stator - Section 7.7

The body of the regulator requires a good ground which often deteriorates as the tractors get older. You can add a ground wire from one of the mounting screws to a known good ground.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

shunter

Thanks for the info! I'll check all connections and take a multimeter to that battery. 

If the stator should be bad, what type of job is that?

pfrederi
28 minutes ago, shunter said:

Thanks for the info! I'll check all connections and take a multimeter to that battery. 

If the stator should be bad, what type of job is that?

Test output with it running  Should be about 30volts AC.  If it is bad you will have to replace it.  Requires pulling the flywheel.  Based on your spec # I am guessing you have a breakerless ignition system. The type of ignition will impact the type of stator you may need.  Many breakersless were modified after failure to be a battery points ignition system.  What do you have on the machine now.  Is there a triangular shaped coil (breakerless) on the front of the blower housing or one like a small can (Point/battery igniton)...(If the spark plug wire comes out from behind the blower housing you have the third possible ignition type ...magneto.  I have 3 Kohler charger /electros all have different ignitions

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

The stator is behind the flywheel so a puller is best used to get it off.

If the stator passes the resistance tests but still no AC output it is possible the magnets inside the flywheel have come loose. They can often be glued back on with the north/south poles oriented properly.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

shunter
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

..(If the spark plug wire comes out from behind the blower housing you have the third possible ignition type ...magneto.  

This would be the type I have.

pfrederi

The Kohler parts manual for 47147 shows variation 509 for ignition which would make it a breakerless system.  May have been swapped at some point.  if it is a magneto and the stator is bad it and the mag are one piece...Still available from Kohler for only $485.95.

As Gary points out could be loose magnet also.  Run the AC output test.  Just pull the plug from the regulator stick your multimeter on AC into the two white wire holes (They come from the engine)

stator.JPG

variant.JPG

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

I have this 47147b engine in late 1968 as a magneto ignition with points and condenser. I don't know where I got that. And it sounds like shunter has this ignition. This is also the first to get the 10 amp stators. Should I go back and change them all to breakerless?

All the 1968 Electro models used the 47147b.

Only the late 1968 model year Chargers and Raiders used the 47147b.

Anyone else have these models? And if so what ignition?

Strange the 509 is listed under breaker ignition and breakerless ignition for the voltage regulator.

Garry

shunter
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Still available from Kohler for only $485.95.

Haven't had chance to check it out as of yet but $485 on a $250 tractor, what else to do?

pfrederi
2 hours ago, shunter said:

Haven't had chance to check it out as of yet but $485 on a $250 tractor, what else to do?

First thing check to see if stator is really bad...more likely is a bad connection or bad regulator.

I have to go up to the shed and see what all spec numbers have what ignitions...but who knows what was changed out over the years

gwest_ca

Here is where I am now

K301S-47147b has magneto ignition with points and condenser - Late 1968 tractors with Bendix starter.

K301S-47147c has breakerless ignition - 1969 tractors with Bendix starter

K301S-47147d has magneto ignition with points and condenser - don't know who used this engine

Points 47-150-03 used with both magneto and battery ignition

Condenser 47-140-01 used with magneto ignition with points and condenser only - item #24 on page 75

Coil 47-145-02 used with magneto ignition with points and condenser only - item #13 on page 74

Think the problem is Kohler did not go far enough with the variations.

An old Napa catalog came to the rescue.

Garry

• Like 1