a.dumont

Leaking Line

a.dumont

My 1973 Automatic 18 (D-180) started to leak where the pipe joins the block. (See picture) What is the fix for this? Someone said solder in place, but I have my doubts.

0512181648a.jpg

0512181648b.jpg

953 nut

You would never get it hot enough for solder with the lines full of oil, not to mention the fire hazard!       :auto-ambulance:        Regular plumbers solder wouldn't hold up anyway. Need to pull the block, drain it and use silver solder (AKA Hard Solder).

• Like 2

a.dumont

Thanks for the info. I'll pull the line set out, media blast the area, and then solder it. I think the only fun will be finding replacement O-rings. Will standard diameter O-rings from a universal kit cover these, or are they a specific type, like square-cut?

gwest_ca

What are the chances of the tube being cracked at the solder line?

Garry

• Thanks 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, a.dumont said:

Will standard diameter O-rings from a universal kit cover these, or are they a specific type, like square-cut?

Can't say off hand, but a hydraulic shop would be able to hook you up.

pfrederi

You need 6 o rings

2 Size 015

2 size 018 and 2 size 018BU  (back up o rings)

You may also need to replace the "special sealing washer" under the Gr5 Hex head bolt in your picture. Mcmaster sells sealing washers yu could also use a copper crush washer form the auto parts store used in many brake systems.

PM me your address I can mail you the o rings you need.

Edited by pfrederi

a.dumont

Removed the lines and attempted to solder. The difference in thickness between the pipes and the block made getting the heat correct (and even) near impossible. Had a local metal shop TIG weld all four lines. Used universal O-rings from Harbor Freight and re-assembled. Used pipe dope on the wet bolt. No issues and runs great. Thanks for the help guys!

• Excellent 1