Tbonz

Newer wheel horse preference

Tbonz

Hi

im looking for some advice on newer(plastic hood) wheel horses. I have a few 300 series and a 520h also a suburban and lawn raider. But I’m looking into getting a plastic hood wheel horse for a cleaner mulch/bag option and tighter turning radius for a little under 2 broken up heavily landscaped acres at my work. 

I’m looking at 3 models:

22-38 hydro. 16-44 hydro. And 267 or 268 hydro. Or posibly a used residential toro zero. 

Any opinions or assistance out there. 

Thanks in advance. 

572AA6D3-9799-4764-BD88-82F4FC733C3C.jpeg

DennisThornton

I love all of them but the foot control is a favorite, be it a 26X or a 52Xxi.

Tbonz

Thank you Dennis, I am interested in trying the foot pedal. 

Also does anyone know the differences between the 260 series or 520 series tractors and the hp-deck size line?ex. 12-38

Is the hp-deck size just lawn tractors?

while the 260 and above garden tractors?

thank you

DennisThornton

Everything you ask is here and searchable but I'll clear up that it isn't the "520" but rather the "xi" & "lxi" that have the foot controls or "motion control".  WH made a Classic 520 model but then a larger very different 520-523xi & 520lxi.  Wheel Horse could have done a much better job of naming their tractors and a little more than I can fully explain at the moment, but there were LTs named by hp-deck sizes.  This forum is more focused on the 12" rear wheeled horizontal shafts so you'll see less interest in underrated vertical shaft 26x series.  But don't underestimate the 26x series as very nice mowers and blowers! 

wh500special

The 260-series would be better suited to what you want to do, compared to the XL series.

Decks weren't standard equipment on the 260's.  Optionally available from 38" to 52".  I think only Side Discharge were offered.  The 52-incher is a big deck and pumps and lot of air, so I think it was only offered on the 19 and 20 hp machines (269H and 270H).

The only real issue I've had with the 260's is the plastic hood being a bit flimsy and since it protrudes beyond any "hard" spots on the tractor, a lot of them seem to be broken in the front from hitting things.

They are generally tough machines.  And better mowers than the C/300/400/500 tractors since they were way more maneuverable.  They were up to the task for yard and garden duty, but not for heavy drawbar or ground engaging.

Good machines.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton

I think Steve is spot on! 

Good luck finding a perfect plastic hood. 

I think the biggest 26x had a tiller option. 

Great mowers!  Not aware of a two stage blower but they had a very nice single stage. 

Tbonz

Thanks for all your input!

i ended up with a 12-38. Mainly beacause it was the nicest available to me. The 267h I looked at was in poor shape. I do plan on using My 312-8 for the bulk of my mowing at the facility and for snow mowing. The 12-38 will kind of be the trim/tight area mower. 

I think that if a nicer 260 series was available in my price I would have picked it up, however the 12-38 is in really nice shape and I’ll be happy with it. I do love the way the foot pedal works. 

Thanks again

Tbonz

Well... just thought I’d give an update on the 12-38. Cut the grass one time and posted it up for sale. It was too slow for me. Went back to my 312-5. It doesn’t look as pretty but gets the job done in 1/4 time. I can’t say that the 12-38 was not a good mower because it was nice. It just wasn’t for me. 

• Sad 1