Al C.

Hydro vs. 8-Speed

Al C.

Is one transmission more durable in the long run - Wheel Horse Hydro vs. Wheel Horse 8-Speed - all other factors equal?

pfrederi

8-speeds.  If you keep the water out of them and do not try to shift on the fly they will run forever,and if something does go wrong they are pretty simple to fix

• Like 3

953 nut

I think the durability of either one is primarily a matter of maintenance and operator actions. Lots of manual trans missions will pop out of gear because of "cowboy shifting" on the go and lots of hydros are slammed from forward to reverse without coming to a stop. I have an Eaton, couple Sundstrands and several manuals. I have a personal preference for the manual transaxles, but plowing snow with the Eaton this winter may make a convert of me.

• Like 1

charging10

My 72 charger10 automatic has done it all, mow ,snowplow, pull moldboard plow ,disc ,cultivate, but I also love my manual shift tractors, havent had any issues with them either .

• Like 1

EricF

Sunstrands and the Eaton 1100 hydros are pretty tough and well-matched to the Wheel Horse rear end... Neither the manuals nor the hydros shy away from getting some serious work done. I've seen threads on Red Square on repairing and recovering from previous-owner abuse for both types, so neither one is immune. Manuals are probably easier for do-it-yourself rebuilds... The hydros have the advantage of providing for the hydraulic lift...

I'd have both of I had more than one tractor, but with only one and the need for running the big snowthrower in the winter, the hydro and hydraulic lift makes the most sense for me.

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

I like my 1974 C160 hydro over all the tractors I have. It will push or pull anything I ask it to. But if my 314-8  had electric lift it would be my second favorite. But I still prefer hydro.

As far as durability 44 years is pretty darn durable by any body's standards. 

It's all about maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2