Exhaust

C 120 drive belt noise

Exhaust

This is a 1976 c120 8 speed.  I noticed a loud vibration when letting out the clutch, its the drive belt hitting the sheet metal guard.  I plan on removing the cover this weekend to investigate how i can solve the contact but i assumed you folks might have experienced this.  Is it a spring or tensioner pulley that needs adjustment?  That was my hunch.  Any ideas?

The exact location of contact is the right side of the tractor, near your right ankle.  Its the guard immediately above the foot plate.  The lowest portion of the guard that is about 1" wide running parallel with the ground, the drive belt is just a 1/4-1/2" clearance when the clutch isnt engaged.  When i engage the clutch the belt has slack, then the rotation causes it to slap the sheet metal for about 1-2 seconds.  I dont think its doin any damage just bothersome.

Lee1977

I had a lot of noise when the clutch was depressed on my C-120. What I found was the hole for the clutch rod was worn. I drilled it out and installed brass bushings . Mine would make a hammering noise with the clutch depressed.

• Like 4

roadapples

Check for play in the idler pulley. And make shure the drive pully on the tranny is tight...

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:       Another thing that could cause this is a worn belt, or rusty pulleys. If you find rust a little time with steel wool will clear it up.

• Like 3

doc724

My bet is on the idler pulley.  My C141 did the same thing.  Pulley was likely original, 37 years old.  Put in a new one and the noise is gone

• Like 3

gwest_ca

If you take the belt guard off the worn paint where the belt contacts the guard should be evident. Sometimes a washer is needed to shim to guard out if the belt is contacting the side of it.

Some may remember Blueknightbob. He added a strip of cap tape foam to the bottom ledge of the guard. Remember that from way back when.

Garry

• Like 3

Exhaust

Well it seems to be fixed and it was not what i expected.  The right floor plate had a 1/2" bolt missing near the brake pedal.  I replaced that bolt with a substitute from an old Craftsman RAS stand (had an aged rusty patina) and the contact from the belt is gone.  No more vibration.  Can't beat that!  Quick fix! gives me time to start my landscape brick work, they've sunk down too far.  Using the 120 to pull the trailer of soil and sod spoils.  

Thank you gentlemen!

• Like 1