jsPond

Should I be concerned?

jsPond

I'm looking for a horse primarily to run my tiller and snow blower and free up my 315-8 to mow.  It's a real pain to have to switch back and forth all the time.  Well I found a 416-8 for not much money.  It looks to be in fine shape (not the deck but I really don't need that) and would be perfect for my needs.  The only problem is, it has an Onan engine.  Many of you will read that and wonder what's wrong with me as there seems to be an Onan following here.  Well, I had one Onan in my life and swore I would never own another one.  It was just a bad experience.  Anyway, this 16hp Onan appears to have around 1160 hours on it.  Seller says it runs great and is firm on the price.  I'm very leary of this engine but I do need to get something soon.  Should I run away from this or would there theoretically be a lot of life left in the engine?

lynnmor

So if the engine blows it is still "not much money."  An Onan will run a very long time if the cooling system has been kept clean.  With any high hour engine, it all depends on how it was treated, and we all know that there is plenty of abuse out there.

• Excellent 1

Jerry77
7 hours ago, jsPond said:

I'm looking for a horse primarily to run my tiller and snow blower and free up my 315-8 to mow.

If that limited duty is all you want it for, I would think it would be ideal. Won't put many hours on it with the jobs you have lined up..:twocents-02cents:

Irv

I haven't heard of a lot of problems with the 16 Onan (as there are with the 20 overheating). I'd say if it runs good and seems to be well taken care of and is a decent price, go for it.

Tankman

Decent price?  Like Irv says, "Go for it."  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Only own (or ever owned) one Onan. Hours? Not a clue.

Grandsons love "our" '90 520-8.

• Like 1