WHX??

520H Steering Problem

WHX??

Here's a problem that's got me scratching  my head :scratchead: although that doesn't take much these days. On a new to me 520 one of the first things I noticed  was the tractor would make tight right hand turns and wide left hand turns. with the front end of the steering centered in the frame the fan gear is not centered. almost seems like the lower shaft was not made right? Is the fan gear welded to the shaft or pinned? Looks like it's welded all one piece but might have been signs of a roll pin?  What this girl has been through anything's a wonder!

20180507_143846[1].jpg

20180507_144036[1].jpg

Edited by WHX17

squonk

Someone else had this issue not too long ago. I could see it if it was the other way around. You want a tight left turn for trimming with a SD deck and for quick times at Martinsville. :auto-swerve:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

oldredrider

Do a search on here. Apparently,  some of these left the factory misaligned. Looks like you got one!

Achto

At first I thought that the tie rods may have been adjusted wrong. Now it looks to me like the steering shaft may have been welded together wrong at the factory.

Shynon
1 hour ago, WHX17 said:

tight right hand turns

You can always do a polish victory lap:auto-layrubber:around the yard  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

WHX??

My bad Skunk it is the other way around. I had not heard of the factory screw up Old Red but would not be surprised. One would think there would have been a dealer fix. I did not see a service note in files nor other threads on the issue. Will continue to look. My first thought too Dan on the tie rods as a PO was definitely messing with them. BTW this is a '97.

Edited by WHX17
  • Sad 1

Bert
2 hours ago, oldredrider said:

Do a search on here. Apparently,  some of these left the factory misaligned. Looks like you got one!

2 hours ago, Achto said:

At first I thought that the tie rods may have been adjusted wrong. Now it looks to me like the steering shaft may have been welded together wrong at the factory.

Unfortunately this seemed to happen

often, I’ve got one like this that’s probably 15-20 degrees off. 

• Like 1

WHX??

What year Bert? One would have thought these were produced in a jig to avoid this?

benji756

a simple easy fix may be to cut the steering shaft center the fan gear center the steering wheel and use a clamp type of coupler to fasten them together then adjust the tierods 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

benji756

3rd picture show part of the coupler I made for this, its made of 2 3/4 inch split collars and a piece of steel tubing

WHX??

Thanks Benji, was thinking along those same lines . Cut the shaft out and reweld it at the proper alignment.OR leave as is and live with it. OR look for a member that is parting a good one out. No hurry on anything as I would like to find out if Old Red's theory of leaving the factory like this or a PO fix of something? Just gettng into the problems of this new to me. Eventually I have to pull the whole front end off for decent cleaning of all the old stiff grease off.  A project I actually look forward to just to learn more about things. The fronts are really bad on this and not quite sure how they got worn so bad. My idea is to spring for a set of V-61's  for my main squeeze 520 and give this tractor her old  turfs.  Not even quite sure what I am gonna do about the whole tractor as the clock says 2k+ hours but the P220 runs good. Little bit of smoke on startup but warms up strong. Funny thing about this 520 is the whole rear end was packed with crud but the engine is immaculate. Cleaned up nice tho. Shoulda took pics of before and after bath!

20180421_150436.jpg

• Like 1

ericj

that fan style steering was on a 90 or older, I believe the 91 and newer had the gear reduction style steering. I know 92 and newer had gear reduction

eric j   

• Like 1

roadapples

I centered mine up and then adjusted the tie rods to straighten the wheels... piece a :occasion-cake:

• Like 2

squonk

If it turns tight left  I don't think it's that big of a screw up. My 520 turns tighter left and I had a 1990 200 series that did the same thing.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Not a problem with my '88.   It won't turn at all with the blower down.   :unsure:

IMG_7183.JPG.ae063f665ea7b14a6dd2a375baba7e32.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

lynnmor

That is a rather crude weld on the fan gear, I wonder if it left the factory that way.

• Like 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, ericj said:

that fan style steering was on a 90 or older, I believe the 91 and newer had the gear reduction style steering. I know 92 and newer had gear reduction

eric j   

All of my 520 have reduction and the other two can dang near turn on a dime.

10 hours ago, roadapples said:

I centered mine up and then adjusted the tie rods to straighten the wheels... piece a :occasion-cake:

That's what it probably will come to for now Jay. Trouble is this girl is so far out of wack that the plate the tie rods attach to will hit the frame sooner to one side. Maybe I can find a happy medium.

59 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

That is a rather crude weld on the fan gear, I wonder if it left the factory that way.

Good eye Lynn ... thought the same thing, closer inspection under the crud does look like a factory weld tho.

• Like 1

Bert
15 hours ago, WHX17 said:

What year Bert? One would have thought these were produced in a jig to avoid this?

I don't know what year it came from as it was a ebay purchase for my HC with 60 inch deck. They likely did use a jig but if a lazy employee dose not clamp the parts in place before welding this could be the result.

• Sad 1

WHX??

Next question how hard is it to get that shaft out of there? Pull the front and rear supports but can the motor stay in the frame? Maybe I should just fix it as long as I have the tractor torn down this far?

yup looks like this is not a new problem.

Edited by WHX17

benji756

if you cut the shaft as i did it will come out in 2 pieces other wise I think you have to remove the steering wheel and dash which can be a adventure all on its own while I had mine apart I also replaced the plastic bushing for the shaft with a pillow bearing, there should be a picture of it along with the others I posted that really helped tighten up the steering

• Like 1

WHX??

Problems with this girl must come in twos...lots of oily mess on the left hub and rim so off to clean & inspect & found this. Didn't have the stomach to check the hub, just tossed it in the parts cleaner and headed for the fridge! Good thing this tractor came with a 0 price tag!

20180509_181609[1].jpg

Someone's been here before, the plastic thrust washer was missing.

Edited by WHX17

lynnmor
1 hour ago, WHX17 said:

Someone's been here before, the plastic thrust washer was missing.

Maybe not, that loose hub might have ate it.  When replacing the axle, key and hub, add a second set screw in the hub and a flat on the axle for it to tighten on.  Also, spot face the hub for the added jam nut.  Use new set screws and jam nuts.

WHX??

Both hubs have two set screws in already & yes they are shot.  Replacing the axle is not an option at this point in time, have too many irons in the fire as it is. I may just try and build it back up and look for a new hub for the time being and run it like I stole it! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1