Marv

Differential end cap size

Marv

While rebuilding my C100 transmission I discovered a difference in end cap size. That is, The size of the bearing surface on the end caps in the trans is 1 1/2". The spare set I have and intended to use has a bearing surface of 1 9/16". So I reinstalled the originals. Question is when did this change come about?

Marv

• Sad 1

stevasaurus

Hi Marv...exactly which bearing are you talking about and what do you mean by end cap??.  What year is your C-100??  I think you have the #5091 transmission.  :)

• Like 1

Marv
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Hi Marv...exactly which bearing are you talking about and what do you mean by end cap??.  What year is your C-100??  I think you have the #5091 transmission.  :)

Hi Steve, I am talking about the 1533 bearing end of the differential cap. Tractor is model 1-0391. Based on engine serial # I would say it is a 1975 model.

Marv

stevasaurus

OK.  If your old  ones are still good, you will be alright.  @wheelhorseman (Lowell) sells the 1533 new...he is a vendor on this site.  I thought maybe you were talking about the few years they went to a needle bearing to replace the 1533.  I don't know where you found an 1 9/16" bearing.  :)  Is that a ball bearing??

Marv
8 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

OK.  If your old  ones are still good, you will be alright.  @wheelhorseman (Lowell) sells the 1533 new...he is a vendor on this site.  I thought maybe you were talking about the few years they went to a needle bearing to replace the 1533.  I don't know where you found an 1 9/16" bearing.  :)  Is that a ball bearing??

Steve, What I am saying is the journal on the end cap is 1 9/16 on the caps I had intended to use. Puzzling. The  temporary needle bearing use had a "race" on the journal. the ones I have do not have anything on the journal.

Marv

• Like 1

stevasaurus

OK...so you found some different end caps.  Where did you find them??? 

:think:

Marv

I will try to clarify this issue. about 2 years (???) or so ago I purchased the internals of an 8 speed transmission on ebay. I used two of the shifting gears in another trans I was working on. The remaining parts I put on the shelf for future use if needed. When I opened the C100 transmission it was so bad I decided to use the parts from the shelf plus 1533 bearings and 2 shifting gears I purchased from A-Z tractor. This is when I found out the end caps from the shelf were 1 9/16" OD on the surface that goes into the 1533 bearing. That was a complete surprise to me. The end caps in the C100 trans are 1 1/2 and fit the 1533 as expected. So, I reused them.

This situation brings the question, When did Wheel Horse make the switch to the larger OD.

Marv 

gwest_ca

Do not think this applies

Garry

stevasaurus

Marv...refer to my post #4.  Along with what Garry posted as a download, it looks like the parts you bought were from the WH #103916 8 speed transmission.  It's 1st appearance looks like 1982 - 1984.  This used a needle bearing #111199...also SKF 6008.   The inside diameter of this bearing is 40mm or 1 9/16"  OD is 68mm and width is 15mm.  The rest of the transmission parts are the same as any other 8 speed.  If you wanted to use the 11199 bearing, your end caps would work.  Hope that sheds the light on what you have.  :occasion-xmas:

Marv

Gary, Thanks for the download. It should be helpful to anyone following this discussion.

Steve, My service bulletins go up to # 378 so I was aware of the needle bearing use. Looking at the 103916 trans used in the C165 11-16k801 and others (82-84), the end cap 105060 and bearing 1533 is the same as the parts in the 1-0391 C100 trans.

There is no reference to the temporary use of alternate construction in any parts list I have looked at. My understanding of the bulletin # 369 is there was a substitute case used, hence the temporary assembly using ball bearing shown shown in fig 1 as well as the substitute needle bearing.

The different sizing of the end cap journal must have come about later than the information I have.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Found this in the original ipl for the 1986 300-Series and 400-Series tractors

I always guessed the early and late tractor model numbers were produced by Wheel Horse for the early and Toro for the late because 1986 was the year Toro acquired Wheel Horse.

Looks as though the differential side bearings forced the tractor model number change.

According to the online Toro parts lists the 111199 metric bearing was used in various models 1986-1990.

Garry

1986 300 400 ipl 8-spd dif side brg.jpg

1986 300 400 ipl Auto dif side brg.jpg