Sarge

16 Auto/C-160 fuel cap w/gauge?

Sarge

Has anyone found a fuel gauge type cap to fit the 2-1/4" threaded neck on the plastic tanks in the C-series? My current cap leaks at much over 3/4 tank, would love to get a better-sealed unit with a gauge on it. I did find a Kelch to fit the D, it's a bit short but works great and doesn't leak, while still vented correctly.

Sarge

pfrederi

Toro part # is 106945 for the C series under seat tanks  Stens claims this one fits. I just order one will get it Wednesday will know for sure then.

gauge.JPG

• Like 1

roadapples

Keep us posted....thanks

Sarge

Uh - tank depth on the 16 Auto/C-160 (mine is model 1-0440) early models is only 5-3/4" compared to the under the seat tank location models...far as I know those are much deeper than the early C-series 6qt. capacity tanks.

Tank part # on mine is 103487 and cap is 102321 - through Jack's Small engines lookup, it seems the superseded part number for the cap (now showing w/gauge) is 108011....hhmmm. No other info on the superseded part other than "w/gauge". Direct search of that later part number comes back to fitting an LT-1637 Twin 5spd, odd. My original parts list does not show the section for the fuel tank cap, nor it's sizing specs. I did figure out by measuring it's using the standard 1-3/4" outside diameter threads, 5-3/4" deep to the top of the neck. This is the very rounded appearing plastic tank, not a metal one.

I did search through Kelch's offerings by size, but no luck there.

Sarge

Tankman

I tried several caps with gauges, gave up.

All eventually leaked, discolored, clear plastic cracked, forget it.

Use caps without gauges, remove the cap and take a peek-a-boo to confirm fuel level. :handgestures-thumbupright:

After taking the Horse out, fuel before the Horse rests in its stable. Always ready to ride 'em cowboy. :ROTF:

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

Yeah, it appears after a lot of searching there is no gauge available to fit the neck of this tank, it's sort of an odd size/depth. I hate trying to fill it with fuel as you can't see very well past the gas can spout. Due to the size of this property, I can mow the whole thing on one tank, sometimes - other times, not so much. It's hard to tell how much fuel it's really using since the K341 has so much torque, it's hard to hear when it's up against the governor on this engine.  I do need to find a new cap, this one leaks pretty good with anything over 3/4 of a tank.

Sarge

pfrederi

Got the cap. Fit the 418A, 310-8 and C141 perfectly.  Did not fit one of the C-175s wanted to cross thread.  (Have had a plain cap on here forever...may have imaged the threads on the tank???.)  I have to go up to the storage shed and try it on some other underseat tank horses.

123GO

fwiw- I read this review below on Amazon for the Stens version 125-112 fuel cap Pfrediri posted that replaces WH/Toro 106945 cap. May be a member on here review below idk?

Regardless I'm posting here as It may help some members out on these cap issues but I have not tried one at all myself yet to verify problems. My wife's health issues have priority over all things at the moment but' I will post an update when/if I do try one of these. I do need a cap on my 1988 414-8, not sure how it fits mine as some said it fit their 300/400 series perfectly others say it don't but posts I read don't mentioned the year of the tractor? So' I'm wondering if there may have been a subtle change in cap/tank designs over the yrs or its a factory screw up on some caps people received? After all its supposed to fit any tractor that uses 106945 cap but it dont seem to do that.  IDK why some caps fit a 300 series while others do not but this seems to be the case so maybe screw up? Tractor year just may be a factor too though, members with several tractors may solve this puzzle?

---------

(Amazon Member Review --- Well, maybe it was my expectation level, but I assumed that Toro part # 106945 was compatible with Wheel horse part # 106945 since Toro owns Wheel horse, but not so. The threads on this one do not match the threads on the tank neck so as noted in another review, it goes on crooked and will not screw down all the way. Useless to me.

Update/PS:

Kept messing with this thing and discovered that the problem is the cap has a raised center underneath that needs to go down inside the filler neck of the fuel tank, and it is too large to fit inside the neck of my Wheel horse C145. My tank is plastic so I used a file with a rounded side to enlarge the filler neck opening about 1/16" and then it worked perfectly. I had the tank removed so I did this with the tank upside down so the filings would'nt go into the tank. Someone measured wrong when they made these!--- end Review)

---------

Link to cap above posted by Pfrediri located here (see 1 star rating for above post):

https://www.amazon.com/Stens-125-112-Replaces-Simplicity-1704366SM/dp/B001OK4HJ0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Edited by 123GO