TonyToro

Clutch Springs or custom spring setups info please

TonyToro

I searched the site and found some good older threads but no pictures. Pictures help me. lol

Does anyone have experience with a heavier clutch spring, if so item number please. Another thought I have been having and discovered some have done is add another spring for tension. If anyone has success with these please send pictures. 

Racinbob

I use the 108035 (current #)on my 68 500 Special, 76 B/C Series, 2005 Classic and countless other tractors through the years. Basically I haven't seen a 2 piece transmission that spring won't work on just fine. Not so with the 5003/5010 3 piece transmissions. On later models any sort of dampening device gets removed and just the spring is utilized. What issues are you having where you think you need a stronger spring? :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

TonyToro

Last season we smoked a belt on the Raider 12. Installed a new spring from my local dealer and everything has been fine. 

We are thinking of building a 14hp full out performance engine. 

I am thinking to add some more spring pressure to keep the belt from slipping with the added horse power. I have read some guys installed an extra spring but I haven't seen where it is located. 

I didn't keep the package from the spring I got but it could have been the same part number you suggested. 

fast88pu

Stock belts, stock spring and stock pulleys and so far 0 belt slip. Even with the V twin pulling in 3H. It's rated at 22hp ;).  

IMG_20180501_164542.jpg

IMG_20180421_165509.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, TonyToro said:

installed an extra spring but I haven't seen where it is located. 

I didn't keep the package from the spring I got but it could have been the same part number you suggested. 

I put an extra spring INSIDE the factory spring on my B80 because the one on it was a bit weak and I changed to a 2 inch engine pulley to slow the tractor down. I found with the smaller pulley I needed more tension.

It is just an extra from the parts box.

Just bring the existing one to a good parts store and match it up. Mine had one curled end and I bent the straight end where I needed.

RCPW sells the above spring for under $10 including freight. Least expensive I've found. It's a Toro brand.

fast88pu
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I put an extra spring INSIDE the factory spring on my B80 because the one on it was a bit weak and I changed to a 2 inch engine pulley to slow the tractor down. I found with the smaller pulley I needed more tension.

It is just an extra from the parts box.

Just bring the existing one to a good parts store and match it up. Mine had one curled end and I bent the straight end where I needed.

RCPW sells the above spring for under $10 including freight. Least expensive I've found. It's a Toro brand.

Smaller pulley may not have enough belt surface area causing slipping. Possibly try stock front pulley and larger back pulley. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, fast88pu said:

Smaller pulley may not have enough belt surface area causing slipping. Possibly try stock front pulley and larger back pulley. 

Kyle, I think you're absolutely correct about that.

I've got it pretty much solved for now I think.

The reason for the pulley swap was too slow down reverse gear. I put on the smallest front pulley I could find and bent the tabs in on the end of the belt guard to support the belt better.

I tried to find a larger rear pulley but had very limited luck without having to spend a lot of money.

I now have an 8-speed sitting in the shed waiting to be installed in that tractor. That will certainly give me the low range I'm looking for... but it's going to be a few months before I get to it I think.

• Like 2