stevebo

Basic Wiring of kohler 4hp starter generator-suburban

stevebo

I found a starter/generator for a kohler k91. Put it on my boy's hot rod. Looking for a wiring diagram to make this complete. Anyone have diagram? Not sure this is a generator as well. Top terminal is power to start and I assume the other is to push out power to a regulator? I have a battery on board set up just for the lights up until today. 

IMG_4728.jpg

IMG_4732.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Didn't fireman Jeff do up an RJ with electric start?   :scratchead:

Image result for kohler k91 electric start wiring diagram

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

formariz

The diagrams on post #2 are correct. Your biggest challenge is where to put all of that. Jeff did a nice job in hiding pretty much everything. I opted to leave everything on engine as it came but had to move engine forward so no modifications had to be made to shift lever. I can get you photos from one of my NOS ones with all parts on engine if you want.

stevebo

If I had it without a charging system then I assume just an in line push button starter ?

953 nut

This diagram should get you going, Just ignore everything in the Ignition section as you have a magneto and ignore the Accessory section unless you plan to add lights or a stereo. Generator light is optional and if you want to use a heavy duty push button switch the solenoid and ignition switch can go away and take the Bat terminal of the regulator directly back to the battery "+".5aeed4c390613_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.7903d5974acef0a2e3a82e8511f710b3.jpg

• Like 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: Plus add a kill switch or use an ignition switch for a magneto system. :)

stevebo

Great info guys thanks. The boy has lights already wired to the battery on board that is why we even have the battery. I am leaning towards adding the charging system so he does not have to charge battery all the time. I need to take inventory on what parts I have in stock ...

• Like 1

wallfish

You can pick up a S/G regulator at TSC. The sores may not have all styles in stock but you can go with the saddle mount for the common location right on the S/G or a flat mount to locate it somewhere else. More expensive than online.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tisco-voltage-regulator-vr1820?cm_vc=IOPDP1

Or order one online from Pat's at about 1/2 the price. $16

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_starter_motors.htm

A shorter belt will pull the S/G closer to the engine or it may fit below the carb on the other side if you want or need the room. Use of a solenoid for the start circuit will allow for a common key switch or you need to go with a high voltage type switch or separate push button type.

• Like 1

formariz

The original engine has a very efficient usage of space for all the components,

IMG_1196.JPG.d58a0ce3a08cd37a0d7b92e434681efa.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG.ab1da852b681a458627faec4bd973941.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG.41cca2718b704872f95b8dd6a6ac998d.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG.1ea34006d38ea32b099f2d9ce41dfbbc.JPG

• Like 2

stevebo

So I decided to just install start button (push type) and no charging system. In testing the output of the starter generator it is only pushing out like 1.27 volts on either post while running. Is it safe to assume the generator part is not working?

IMG_4756.JPG

IMG_4757.jpg

pfrederi

The two generator terminals should be stamped one A and one F.  You are reading voltage on the field terminal I would guess from the picture.  You want to measure from the A (should be the one with heavy wire on it).  Genny will produce nothing with out the regulator. For a test right now temporarily ground the F terminal while running.  Voltage on the A Terminal should be about 14

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2