jellyghost

Four WH Questions

jellyghost

1.  When I install the mower deck (attach-o-matic), does the lift pin go into the oblong hole or the circle hole?  I put it in the oblong hole, and I don't think it is working correctly.

2.  Why isn't there a zerk for the mule drive?  Does the mule drive need greased?

3.. What is the best grease gun?  Is there one that you can verify grease is flowing?

4.  My smaller mowing deck has the same length blades as my larger mowing deck.  Is there an advantage to the smaller deck?  Perhaps the smaller deck should mulch better?

Thank you!

doc724

My 2 cents

1.  Yes, the pin goes into the oblong hole

2.  Bearing are sealed in the mule, thus no need to grease them

3.  Cannot provide a good answer to this one, I am using the one I got when I was about 16 years old, I am 67 now.

4.  I am guessing the smaller deck is rear discharge and those blades are usually low lift, thus they overlap more (if you were to look from the front).  A side discharge has high lift blades and the spindles are spread father apart, less overlap but it allows the grass to shoot out properly.

Others will chime in I am sure.

• Like 1

EricF

With a grease gun, you'll feel more a little more resistance in the handle as you squeeze grease through the zerk and into the bearing or cavity. It might be like pumping grease out in the open air for a few strokes if there wasn't much in the part you're working on to begin with, but it should get a little firmer. Generally, you want to watch the parts and look for old, dirty grease to be start getting pushed out.

• Like 1

Tankman

Pin in the oblong hole so the deck rides on its wheels; follows the ground contour. And...

:text-yeahthat:All the above!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

TDF5G

1) Yes,

2)  No.  The pulleys have sealed bearings

3) I use a pneumatic hand held grease gun from Harbor Freight.  You don't need 3 hands to use it.

4)  Most smaller decks are rear discharge.  The rear discharge has the advantage of being able to mow up to objects from either side of the tractor.  Smaller decks will match the contour of the terrain of your yard too, which some folks prefer the look of after mowing.  

:)

Edited by TDF5G