Pollack Pete

Followed Me Home Yesterday

Pollack Pete

Found this 516H on C/L yesterday.I know,I know,before everyone knocks the Onan engine and the 700 Eaton transmission,I didn't have a 516H and thought it would be a welcome horse to my collection.Didn't need it..........I WANTED it.Plus,it wasn't a lot of money.Haven't checked it over yet.Trying to get it to roll.Damn hydro transmissions.Any ideas on how to get it to roll??Hopefully can get it running in a day or so.Got the ugly boat seat off it already.It won't be going back on.Enjoy the pics.

516h.jpg

516h-2.jpg

516h-3.jpg

516h-4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Sparky

Boat seats are ugly...but they sure are comfy!

It has always made me wonder why WH made a 500 series machine and put in a light duty tranny 🤔 .

Bert

Looks like a great project   :wh:

EricF

I wonder if the hydro unit choice was based on a "by the specs" engineering estimate. Might have looked adequate on paper, but didn't work out in the real world.

• Like 1

Sparky
11 minutes ago, EricF said:

I wonder if the hydro unit choice was based on a "by the specs" engineering estimate. Might have looked adequate on paper, but didn't work out in the real world.

Right...or a way to keep the price down to attract buyers who never planned on working their new machine to hard. 

• Like 1

953 nut
20 minutes ago, EricF said:

They had a couple years of experience with the 1100 before using the 700 beginning in '82. Like @Sparky was saying, bean counters saving a buck!

EricF

May have thought "only" 16HP wouldn't need the 1100... I agree, somebody at Toro thought they could shave some money. But I wonder if they didn't completely realize what would happen with hooking up the 700 to the Uni-Drive rear end -- it does too good a job of putting as much torque and power from the engine to the wheels, and the tractor is heavy enough that it won't lose traction and slip easily -- so the weakest link is eventually gonna let go... 

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Pete should be a good worker when you are done with it.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Not bad at all.

Glenn

Tractor boy

@Pollack Peteis that one of those horrible green machines I see in the background? And congrats on the 516. I’ve always wanted one of those. 

Pollack Pete
4 minutes ago, Tractor boy said:

@Pollack Peteis that one of those horrible green machines I see in the background? And congrats on the 516. I’ve always wanted one of those. 

Nope....I would NEVER allow one of those green machines in my yard.That's a Ford 555B 4x4  loader/ backhoe.Just say no to JD.

ericj

I've had some success with putting the MCL all the way forward, the longer it has been since it was run, the easier it is to push. On the bright side, if the tractor does't push easy then it's a good chance that it's a good trans in the tractor 

On 5/5/2018 at 12:52 PM, Pollack Pete said:

Trying to get it to roll.Damn hydro transmissions.Any ideas on how to get it to roll?

eric j