clueless

Outboard Guys ?

clueless

Got an older 85 Johnson with 193 hr on the meter. Hasn't been started in 7+ years, fellow says he had the carbs cleaned and rebuild, new plugs, impeller and foot oil changed, got it home started it, ran fine. Disconnected the fuel line, let it run out of fuel, and parked it. He then went through one of them life changing things, and never started it again. I seen the invoice on the work he had done 7 years ago, so I have no reason to doubt him. Should hook up the gas and battery and try to start it and hope for the best. Should I pull the plugs and squirt a little oil or MMO in the cylinders and turn it by hand first. Any advice would be helpful.     

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I would do as you suggest - bit of wd-40 and just listen and feel by hand then fire it up... I start mine in the driveway routinely with water muffs for cooling to work on it. Mines a Johnson 60 hp. 

2 strokes are basically indestructible...

:twocents-02cents:

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I would do as you suggest - bit of wd-40 and just listen and feel by hand then fire it up... I start mine in the driveway routinely with water muffs for cooling to work on it. Mines a Johnson 60 hp. 

2 strokes are basically indestructible...

:twocents-02cents:

:text-yeahthat:

You pretty much answered your own question which shows you're on the right track.....

Cvans

You can spray the MMO in the cylinders but they are horizontal so you will need to direct the spray upward or the top of the cylinders will still be dry. 

Does this engine have oil injection?

stevebo

Make sure that it pumps water within 5-10 seconds or shut it down. impeller is probably good but they tend to go bad if sitting a long time due to dry rot. 

• Like 2

Digger 66
16 hours ago, clueless said:

Any advice would be helpful.     

Go to Wal-Mart and get a can of FOGGING-OIL ( in the automotive gas additive section ).

The can comes with one of those little red tubes like WD-40 does which will allow you to squirt the oil into the bores at any angle .

PLUS , it's actually made to be burnt inside cylinders.  

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1