TimH

312-8

TimH

Just tried to mow the second time this season. Unit stopped running mid way through . Runs only now on full choke. Tank full of gas.

Before I tear into it. Anything I should look at first. Has a Kol 12 hp on it. Plowed snow all winter just fine LOL

19437618_1576507005707582_6225490720940978788_n.jpg

RandyLittrell

Once they get a little age on them, the rubber hoses and such starts to break down and then you get a clogged carb. I would pull the tank and flush it, then put new lines and filter. Pull the carb and spray it out well, put it back together and see if that don't do it. If you find a lot of small black grit in the bottom of the bowl, you may need to soak the carb and put a kit in it. 

Randy

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Jerry77
2 hours ago, TimH said:

Runs only now on full choke

That is also an indication of water in the gas--add some rubbing alcohol to the gas and see if it improves...:twocents-02cents:

skrusins

Try readjusting the carb winter summer gas change

953 nut
16 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

you may need to soak the carb and put a kit in it.

:WRS:

Gas with ethanol in it is the cause of a lot of problems. Drain the fuel from the tank and take a look inside. Replace the fuel lines and filter and clean the carburetor properly. Then find a station near you that sells non-ethanol gas and only use it from now on.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Like 1

Herder

Three things that I always do:             1. Use High Octane Fuel.                    2. Use Ethanol treatment.                 3. Use Dry Gas-Isopropyl Alcohol.

Mix all together. And yes all the things the others mentioned are most important. I tend to clean the carbs on my tractors quite often. There's nothing worse than that sound. Bang, bang, pow, boom, pop, blah.

Edited by Herder

clueless

How old is the gas?

RandyLittrell
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

Gas with ethanol in it is the cause of a lot of problems. Drain the fuel from the tank and take a look inside. Replace the fuel lines and filter and clean the carburetor properly. Then find a station near you that sells non-ethanol gas and only use it from now on.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Its all I have used on my small engines for quite a few years now and we agree on the rest! :text-+1:

Randy

• Like 1

TimH

Thanks Guys. I always use Non ethanol Gas. I changed lines after flushing out tank. New in line filter. Tried to clean carb , but still only runs on choke. I am now going to replace carb. I have on hand.

• Like 1

TimH

Now turned into a winter project Carb I had laid back is different. Thing that makes be mad I paid to have the failed carb rebuilt last fall. By our local Toro Dealer . They sold out this winter. Grass needs cut real bad So I am off the Lake View hardware to buy a Green JD with loader and front wheel assets

• Sad 1

formariz
1 hour ago, TimH said:

Now turned into a winter project Carb I had laid back is different. Thing that makes be mad I paid to have the failed carb rebuilt last fall. By our local Toro Dealer . They sold out this winter. Grass needs cut real bad So I am off the Lake View hardware to buy a Green JD with loader and front wheel assets

Before you do that, take old carburater out spray entire thing with carburater cleaner specially through all the little holes and if you have a compressor blow the whole thing dry specially into the little holes.. Put it back and I think you will be OK. Pretty sure it is a dirty carburater. Its worth a couple of hours try. Grass will not grow much more in that time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BESTDOGEVER

Try taking the gas cap off I just had one with a plugged vent if it runs with no cap it's only 7 or 8 bucks. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater it's something simple those magnum singles rarely go down for no reason 

• Like 2

TimH

Found Carb did not have gasket They used silicone . Found were carb mount was sucking air in. I love they new JD  But was big bucks and not made near as good as the old Wheel Horses  I ordered a new carb from I Save tractors for 59 bucks.

• Like 1

formariz

90% of times the only thing that goes wrong with these tractors is fuel related. It is relatively easy to diagnose and repair. You just need to dig into it and get familiar with the fuel system. Don't take it anywhere for that. Unfortunately most places charge you a small fortune and are really not competent at what they do. Keep old carburetor and tinker with it. Clean it and get familiar with it. Keep it on hand clean.One day the new one will start acting up so just switch them and clean the other one. This way you don,t have much down time. That Wheel horse will outlast you and definitely the plastic green one.

• Like 3

recklessridr

if all the hoses & carb cleaning don't pan out,,, check the feul pump.    make sure the edges seal properly & the diaphram is not pinholed. cheap & easy if it's bad,, & not a bad idea to make sure that is not  choked up with goo form fuel residue

Dizz1979

I had a similar problem three years ago on my 312-8. Turned out that I needed a new fuel pump. Nice job in keeping that old horse looking like new. Reminds me of my 1988. Still running strong with 1,600 hours on it. 

TimH
22 hours ago, Dizz1979 said:

I had a similar problem three years ago on my 312-8. Turned out that I needed a new fuel pump. Nice job in keeping that old horse looking like new. Reminds me of my 1988. Still running strong with 1,600 hours on it. 

Already check pump Check out ok. Now to install new carb from isavetractors.co  after we close foe the night.

19437618_1576507005707582_6225490720940978788_n.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

The Isavetractors site has been excellent (for me) for ordering what you ordered on time.  Hope it is what you need.  :)

• Like 1

TimH

Just got new carb adjusted .  Horse never ran this good. This is what I did. All New Gas lines and filter. Flushed out gas tank. Replaced carb with new one from isavetractors.com. Filled gas tank with No eff from local boat shop. ( Always use this in all my lawn Equipment )

New Air cleaner. Had my guys replace oil. Once again everyone thanks for your help. 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1