jwalk2cc

Seat springs missing or not 418-8

jwalk2cc

Hello,

I have 1987    418-8      31-K18K801  that I bought used and does not have the usual large u shaped seat springs. Instead it just has spacers. I always thought the seat looked to be mounted low.

So I looked in the parts manual        “Tractor 1987 418-8 31-18K801 TIPL.pdf” and I am not sure if my tractor is missing the u shaped springs  p/n 110920  or not?

It appears I have the 4 spacers p/n  110808 spacer seat *B.   I do not know what the *B defines?

Can anyone interrupt this page in the parts manual please?

Thank You

Johnny WalkerCapture.JPG.ee9ecdf9e370dc0445ac55d76970be9c.JPG5aed962e2a6fd_seatsprings.JPG.7908146285ae065976e6d8439e2242b2.JPGCapture.JPG.ee9ecdf9e370dc0445ac55d76970be9c.JPG

cleat

I have had a few 416's, and a number of 520's and they all have the seat springs.

I would not want to drive around my bumpy yard without them.

They all came with the seat slides and thin spacers as well.

Looks like you may have the base model seat without slides or springs according to the parts diagram.

You should be able to locate springs either here or on a popular auction site for a reasonable fee if you want to smooth out

your ride.

Cleat

gwest_ca

That is the problem with parts lists that are shared between tractor models.

Notice item #1 seat. Now look at the end of the list. 3 more item 1's. So this list covers at least 4 different tractor models each with different seats.

An original parts list would be clear but we don't have one.

Garry

Likely this list is copied from earlier versions from the A, B, C and D-Series tractors (pre 1985). The B would be the vertical shaft lawn tractors.

If you look at the engine page of the parts lists it shows 8 different tractor models.

Sometimes the decals page will show some of the models.

daveoman1966

The 'spacer' isn't used with the U-shaped seat springs.  The spacer is just to set the seat above the edge of the gast ank cap...so it seems...or just to provide a space to access the 4 mounting bolts. 

In any case, I ahve the U-shape springs you ask about.  Send me an off-site email and I'll reply with pics and such.  I am:

daveoman@windstream.net   

clueless

Since the 418 was their top of the line in '87, I don't think they would have come without the springs unless you ordered it that way. Do you have the bar supports  #110807 you need it with the spacers. Get a set of springs from Dave, your back will thank you :). If your tall or just want to sit a little higher, you can use the bar supports and spacer between the springs and the seat for a little more height. I use 1.75" spacers sure helps the bad knee.

• Like 1

953 nut

My 418-C didn't have the springs, but it will when I redo it!       Funny thing is my 310-8 has the springs, go figure.

cleat

Kind of like how a 516 and 518 came with the Eaton 700 when much smaller units came with the better Eaton 1100.

Sometimes Wheel Horse did funny things for unknown reasons.

Jrblanke

My 418 has the deluxe seat assembly pictured on the far right of your diagram. 

B07E0786-B6FB-4AAB-9380-4E01E4CDFA42.jpeg

ABE7D545-7A86-4120-8EB3-4E6B2546E17E.jpeg

• Like 1

daveoman1966

From the schematic above, the SPRING (#2) will bolt between the ADJUSTER (#23) and the BRACKET.  No drilling required....just bolt in the springs.  Iahve the springs...send me an OFF-SITE email for details:  

daveoman@windstream.net

s seat.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

jwalk2cc
On 5/11/2018 at 10:45 PM, Jrblanke said:

My 418 has the deluxe seat assembly pictured on the far right of your diagram. 

B07E0786-B6FB-4AAB-9380-4E01E4CDFA42.jpeg

ABE7D545-7A86-4120-8EB3-4E6B2546E17E.jpeg

Thank you for the pictures. This is exactly the same setup as mine. Now I just need to decide to change to the U springs or leave it as it is. 

Johnny Walker

jwalk2cc
On 5/11/2018 at 11:30 PM, daveoman1966 said:

From the schematic above, the SPRING (#2) will bolt between the ADJUSTER (#23) and the BRACKET.  No drilling required....just bolt in the springs.  Iahve the springs...send me an OFF-SITE email for details:  

daveoman@windstream.net

Thank you for the pictures. I have a parts tractor 312-8 that has this type of set up , I may just move it to the 418-8.  Sending you email . Thanks again for the pictures.

Johnny Walker

s seat.jpg

ohiofarmer

Just a reminder to those who have the deluxe springs.  There is a lot of thin metal underneath [cantilivered] that supports the swinging seat set-up. Take off the seat and pan once in a while to check for cracks.  My 520 nearly dumped me off the machine on a side incline when the metal broke free from one of the mounting holes. 

I repaired mine by using the very tough metal from a circular saw blade.  Additionally, every metal shop needs to have metal from bed frames tucked in a corner. Thin, strong, and easy to weld. Tenants and college kids throw out beds and frames all the time. Now is the time to cruise college towns

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

clueless
On 5/13/2018 at 8:02 AM, jwalk2cc said:

Thank you for the pictures. This is exactly the same setup as mine. Now I just need to decide to change to the U springs or leave it as it is. 

Johnny Walker

Just a heads up, my '97 416 has the deluxe set up with the U springs. The bolt holes or 8 inches apart not the standard 7 inches. Before you get some springs, measure your bolt pattern. I tried mounting the deluxe seat set up on my 312 U springs, no fit :angry-nono:. The earlier set up may fit the standard 7 inch springs, like I said measure yours first before buying the springs.