Dan693

Engine Pulley Removal Help

Dan693

Hey All.....my early 90's Toro/WH 244H developed an oil leak somewhere around the bottom of the engine so I'm removing the engine to see whats up. Its a Onan 14 HP.

I was able to remove the electric clutch but now I'm onto the engine drive pulley.

Does anyone know how that pulley can be removed? Its seems to be tight on the shaft so maybe a puller? I dont see any set screws or other ways its attached.

I guess its pressed on.

I thought i would ask before rolling around on the floor for 2 hours not knowing what Im doing.

Thanks!

UPDATE.......It looks like I can remove the engine and the engine mounting plate all at once......then flip it over on the bench to repair.

Whew!!!!

20180504_090741.jpg

Edited by Dan693
add text
  • Like 1

pfrederi

From parts manual it shows no set screws would appear it is held on by the electric PTO

244.JPG

• Excellent 1

Dan693

Thanks for the info.

I misspoke about being able to romove the engine and the mounting plate together. The mounting plate is welded to the frame.

Looks like I back to using a puller.

• Sad 1

WHX??
29 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

it is held on by the electric PTO

That is correct and might be a bugger to get off first time. Be careful  not to mash the threads in the end of the crank with a puller.  Anti seize when it go back together.

• Like 1

Dan693

A little twist.......the lower clutch shaft is a separate shaft from the engine one. I was able to hit with a torch and it came off.

20180504_095813.jpg

Edited by Dan693
text
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:woohoo: Ever in need Dan I have a 244 parts tractor

Edited by WHX17
  • Like 1

Dan693

Hopefully this post will help anyone that has a similar problem. Just found out that Onan is made by Cummins.

The dealer is downtown Indy. They will have a new seal for me Monday.......$7 bucks.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1