Bob Nakon

C120 slippin'

Bob Nakon

I have been accused of asking stupid questions, but my concerns are valid I think.  I was thinking of parts availability and the fact that I'm an ok hammer mechanic but not even close to the brain trust that hang out here. The other reason I asked is we really rely on the Wheel Horse for so many things.  I totally rebuilt 2 mower decks last fall so I have a spare but one of them has double D shafts, so I know it has a shorter life. I guess it's the parts I'm worried about the most. We have 8 acres and 3 are landscaped so it works year round. I have an IH diesel for bigger things but it sits most of the time. I'm not exactly sitting here wringing my hands but I want to be prepared.

Bob

Bob Nakon

Ron,  I ordered a new hub. The hub loosened and moved toward the gearbox, the woodruff key tipped and locked it there and then tore up the hub.  I posted pictures of it.

Bob

Sarge

I use my tractors for their intended purpose, and then some, lol. I do have a small JD lawn tractor that was part of my Dad's estate - he was proud to own it and I just can't let it go for that reason, so it stays as a backup and does get exercised occasionally mowing. There are times my go-to '73 16 Auto has been down, so the JD can keep up around here, albeit it's pretty fragile in comparison. I have no fear of pushing any of my equipment into a worn out state - for me, there is no such thing. Engines can be replaced/upgraded/rebuilt, everything else I can repair or replace due to our extensive network of parts and vendors making new parts. There is a growing group of members here that are already helping out others on repairs just to keep these machines around - I expect that to continue to grow and expand.

If I have a worn out part, such as a front axle - it gets overhauled and fully bushed with bronze or brass, these will outlive me easily. The only true thing that can possibly wear out to a point of no repair is a hydro transmission, but down the road, there will be other opportunities to convert them using commercial parts off other equipment. The growing trend in equipment close to ours is all headed to hydro drives versus gear drives - so it will be possible to fix any machines that simply become past a service life. Your double D deck and associated parts can be converted over to the newer style shafts/bearings - no worries there. Broken things can be repaired, duplicated or remanufactured - I'd bet we can easily keep most of these machines in service well past another 30yrs. For those that don't have the ability to repair this stuff, I'd imagine more members here will be offering the option to send your parts to them for repair work - some of that is already in place and hopefully, before this year is out I'll offer a front axle service. In comparison to the cost of modern equipment and it's shortcomings - there is no reason not to invest in these old, heavy, overbuilt tractors. Not much is made today that can keep up, let alone last as long as these machines.

My motto is as follows - NEVER THROW AWAY BROKEN OR WORN OUT PARTS, EVERYTHING CAN BE FIXED

Sarge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bob Nakon

Sarge,  Very thoughtful reply to my comment.  I know that these tractors are rugged, just look at the frame, and forged axles and Kohler engines.  Really no weakness that I can see. You are probably aware of some, but actually they are simple machines. I have an old Cub Cadet 1320 in the barn. Has a Kohler 12.5 hp twin, pressure lubed.  I think I'll spend some time on it and get it some tires and run it.  I have a GT14 I need to sell along with the implements. Too much on the plate and not enough time.  Thanks Sarge.

Bob

• Like 1

Bob Nakon

I thought I would show you guys my $103.38 hub. She's a beauty ain't she? Thanks again for the help boys.

Bob

Hub2.jpg

Old Hub.jpg

• Excellent 1

wallfish
9 hours ago, Bob Nakon said:

I thought I would show you guys my $103.38 hub. She's a beauty ain't she?

:lol:

Did that solve the sudden engagement issue too?

Bob Nakon

It absolutely did solve it. If you look at the worn hub it would turn freely until the key hit the worn shoulder with a bang. Glad it's fixed.

Bob

• Like 1