Sign in to follow this  
Guest fireman

Which front tires to use on RJ

Guest fireman

I want some opinions on what tires I should use on the front of the RJ for the restoration. It is not going to be a factory restoration because it was in so bad shape when I started. I plan on using Carlisle Super Lug on the rear. I have narrowed it down to the 3 Rib or Carlisle Stud for the front. Here are the pictures of the 2 different front tires and the rears I plan on using.

Thanks,

Jeff

3 RIB Tires

3rib1.jpg

3rib.jpg

Carlisle Stud

studtire.jpg

Carlisle Super Lug

lugtire.jpg

lugtires.jpg

Eriks Red horse herd

If your going for originality the studed, BUT I think the ribbed on an RJ makes it look like a small farm tractor. Just my opinon!

TT

We just bought some 4.80 X 8 Duro HF215 tires that look a lot like the original "sawtooth" front tires used on some of the older Wheel Horses.

I believe they were around $16.00 each from our local Good Year dealer.

I located some online HERE, and here's a picture from that site:

HF215.jpg

I have seen a few with the triple ribs and they look good too. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

The style TT just posted a pic of is also usually available at Northern, Harbor Freight and TSC type stores too. I know around me I can walk into Fleet Farm and buy them off the shelf. Make sure you get the NHS ones... no need in paying extra... your Wheel Horse is probably not going to be traveling at "highway speeds."

TT

As a point of clarification, I know the sawtooth tread tires weren't one of the two selections in Fireman's poll. I was merely posting them as a "closer to original" alternative than the studded tires (I call them mini-bike tires :thumbs: ) for folks who might be in the market for new front tires at a decent price.

Operator

My opinion---3-Rib :thumbs:

Randy

clintonnut

The titan turf guides from ME Miller are exactly like the goodyears on the early rj's and attachments. Heres a pic of them on my tractor

Attached Image

post-67-1236035567.jpg

sorekiwi

I voted for the tri-ribs for this tractor, but I think you need the sawtooths for the "correct" tractor.

Having said that, I like the way these ones look. I have a pair on my 502 as well.

IMG_1949.jpg

clintonnut

sorekiwi,

What brand are those tires on your RJ

sorekiwi

sorekiwi,

What brand are those tires on your RJ

From memory I think they're Generals. I'll go check in a little bit...

There was a bit of discussion about them here: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...ic=2782&hl=tire

EDIT: Yup theyre Generals

Rollerman

I'm partial to tri ribs myself. :thumbs:

linen beige

I put a couple of the studded ones on the front of my 702 recently and like the way they hold in the snow, but to make it look "right" I'd either go with sawtooths or tri ribs.

BTW, Wallyworld has road rated Carlisle sawtooths for $20 a tire on the shelf here.

Coadster32

I have the rims ready for my 551. I am heading into the tri-rib, and super lug's myself. Just have to wait to get the funds. Just wondering if you're getting your tires locally, or on-line. I think you should put whatever tire you want on. With a good restore, it's not going to decrease the value. Putting value aside, it's your tractor, make it look the way you want. :thumbs: :whistle:

HorseFixer

I want some opinions on what tires I should use on the front of the RJ for the restoration. It is not going to be a factory restoration because it was in so bad shape when I started. I plan on using Carlisle Super Lug on the rear. I have narrowed it down to the 3 Rib or Carlisle Stud for the front. Here are the pictures of the 2 different front tires and the rears I plan on using.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff where do ya get yer 3 Ribs :thumbs: At?

Coadster32

Jeff where do ya get yer 3 Ribs At?

Looks like K-Morrow picture from E-bay.

Guest fireman

Coadster,

You must be be an Ebay Junkie to recognize that, but you hit the nail on the head. I saw them on Ebay.

HorseFixer here is the link:

3 Rib Tires on Ebay

Nick

I kind of like the 3 rib tires also. :thumbs:

I was going to recommend Tuckertire on ebay but looks like about the same price. They do have flat rate shipping, that might help some people.

ronscat

Knobby vs Sawtooth only - want me some tri-ribs. :thumbs:

Ron

P1000256.jpg

buckrancher

If you do not want to use sawtooth tire's I would go with the 3 rib's

they look way cool :whistle: and don't fill up with mud & crap like the knobby's

will. :thumbs:

:whistle:

Guest fireman

buckrancher,

This RJ ain't gonna see no mud that's for sure. This tractor is going to be mostly on dry ground. Now that I think about it, how will the tri-ribs wear compared to the knobs? This is going to see some pavement time too.

HorseFixer

Coadster,

You must be be an Ebay Junkie to recognize that, but you hit the nail on the head. I saw them on Ebay.

3 Rib Tires on Ebay

Thanks Jeff! :thumbs: I called him and he said he can't do better on the price of the tires but can knock off $3.00 on the shipping but If you buy more than one set its on ly like $2.00 more per set for the extra weigt saving about $11.00 on each additional set. Looks like I will be putting those on the 701 :whistle:

Coadster32

Junkie Monkie!! I look everyday, but I'd rather deal with RS members, and not on e-bay. Oh yeah, I'm doing that also.. :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Coadster,

3 Rib Tires on Ebay

Thanks Jeff ordered two sets of the Tri Ribbed front's from him yesterday! I have a wholesaler in town that I get my Carlisle Tru Power's from for $37.00 each thru a buddy of mines buisness. Wished they would sell the Ribs, if they did I could get them for about $ 16.00 each Thanks again for the tip! :thumbs:

Coadster32

I just bought a set for my 551 Restore project. Hopefully be here for the weekend.

They just look so cool! :thumbs: