Sign in to follow this  
combatmp29r

Airens Rear Engine Rider?????

combatmp29r

OK I picked up the 2 RERs after dinner tonight. Had to drive a whole 10 miles. Has anybody ever seen an Airens like this before? Its pretty odd looking. I may not tear it all apart yet. Definately break it into 3 pieces to store better, not sure yet. Anybody got an opinion? I know dumb question. :D

It says emporer on it, but nothing by that name on RCPW looks even close

airensRER2.jpg

Here it is home

AirensRER.jpg

Heres the sears motor donor. Fab material and scrap I say

CraftsmanRER.jpg

Rollerman

Joel the Areins is kinda cute.....where are the peddles? :D

combatmp29r

Thats funny, because it reminded me of a green pedal tractor I had as a kid :D

combatmp29r

Thought this was a nifty feature. Only gives you access to the steering gears, but different.

AirensRER4.jpg

TT

Are the Ariens mowers bolstered anywhere? (It looks like the front axle is mounted solid.) The old Simplicity lawn tractors "twisted" just ahead of the transaxle which was hard to get used to, but it kept all 4 wheels on the ground. :D

combatmp29r

OK had to go check. yep it could do something like that :D

Airenstwist.jpg

Rollerman

Thats pretty cool Joel...who would of though your Areins would have such great articulation! :D

TT

Uh-oh......

I see a ROCK CRAWLER project coming up at Joel's garage! :(

Watch for it on TNN this Sunday!

They're pretty neat Joel. :D I looked around and found very similar units built around 1969. The model number on the one was PRM-3000, but it's not listed on the "parts radar" at the Ariens site. (Too old, I guess :P )

combatmp29r

WellI guess for now then its a keeper. Dont anybody tell the wife!!!!! Already catching enough flack about picking up 4 in one week. I'll find a spot to hide it here. I hope. If not I guess maybe a storage locker is calling :P

Hey Terry maybe I could belt drive the front like Billy was talking about. Now that would do some crawlin :D

TT

Maybe you could mount one of those tiny 2 stroke Tecumseh snowthrower engines under that little hood and hook it to the front wheels......... and put another engine on the back for the rear wheels....... NAH -- that would NEVER work! :D

combatmp29r

yeah my luck I'd get he rear stuck in reverse, and the front in forward RIIIIIIPPPP you get the idea :D

TT

Then all you'd need would be a TUBE patch kit. :D:P :(

combatmp29r

Oh my oh my oh my :D:P :(

T-Mo

Joel,

That Ariens is pretty neat, and odd, little unit. All I know about Ariens is that they build some pretty good stuff, i.e. push mowers, snow throwers, ztrs. A few years ago they bought Gravely, but other than that I'm clueless on them.

Jim_M

Then all you'd need would be a TUBE patch kit. :D:P:(

Now that was funny!

combatmp29r

Yeah thats about all I know too Terry. I bought it for $10 to strip down and scrap what couldn't be used for fabricating other stuff. Now that I have it here and have looked over although just briefly, I think It will stay awhile. Somewhere

:D

I don't usually keep off color tractors, but it is pretty odd. Now to find one of the vertical engines with that darn drive didc assembly snapper and ariens used :P

CHARGER9AUTO
OK I picked up the 2 RERs after dinner tonight.

CasualObserver

Joel, neat, I haven't seen one of those for a while. I have seen one before, but not for a while. One of my brother-in-law's has a Monkey Wards one kinda similar right now, only instead of pedals and a steering wheel it's a joystick drive and steer. AKA death trap on wheels.

If you want to go ahead with a 4WD project with it, study the design of the Struck Mini-Beep. It's a belt driven twin tranny 4WD and it's on my list of "must own" tractors, but I've never seen one in real life. I'll email you some info I have.

Here is a picture from the net

struck4.jpg

combatmp29r

Hey Jason that looks familiar. Mark Jacksons site? (High Ridge Tractor Parts) I haven't been out to see any of mark's stuff in person, but we've talked by email for awhile. I got dimensions, a couple hundred picturs and some good drawings of his soil mover. I have the main frame built of it, doesn't fit in the shop though so its on hold till warmer weather. If I tried to build more of it now I'd look like this ice_block.gif

CasualObserver

Yep, it's Mark's. I love his soil mover... he's been trying to sell it on ebay since before Christmas... and oh, if only I had the money!...

combatmp29r

I know I told him that same thing. He's got aver 100 hours in fabrication and finish on it, plus with the price of steel its worth what He's asking. I'm putting togethor a set of plans and a materials list as I go. We discussed it and both agree that theres more of a market to sell that then finished soil movers. I got all my steel from a guy up the street that hauls scrap. He has a 2 acre field fullof old farm equipment and industrial scrap. Hauls it in ther then cuts it up to haul to the steel mill. Makes more per load that way. So I went and scrounged around and left with a load of steel plate and tube (cut off whatever) for $50. I priced the same steel new and it would have set me back close to $500 OUCH :P

I'll do some sand blasting and grinding to save $450. :(

If it wouldn't be for Marks help it would be a bear to fabricate. Has to be balanced right to roll and dump when tripped. He drew up full size pattern to help get the sides and curves right. Stiil alot of :D

Ok I'm done I wrote a book :(

Rollerman

I've been to Mark's site a few times myself.

Never emailed him but do like his handywork.

That soil mover would be a fun toy if someone had a big enough sandbox to play in. :D

I seen he had it for sale or would build others.

combatmp29r

Ok just an update in case anyone cares. The ariens is a 1969 model PRM-3000. (Just like TT said. How does he do it?) :P

I posted over on the yahoo antique garden tractor group, and a guy got back to me same day and even got me a copy of the parts and owners manual. So its a keeper. I guess I'll have an orange cousin in the vertical shaft herd :(

It came stock with a V70. Now to just find the drive pad set up. It uses a rubber disk mounted on the crank to turn another rubber disk mounted on a horizontal cross shaft. I'm told the snappers worked like this also. :D

T-Mo

Joel,

It does look like a keeper. So are your plans to restore it or to do some mods to it, or.....? :P Ariens makes good equipment, unfortunately, like Toro, they have gotten out of making tractors, just walk behinds and zero turns, for the most part. And they do own Gravely now. Still, they make good equipment, and their equipment is up there in quality to the best of manufacturers. :D

combatmp29r

Terry, I think its going to come down to how hard it is to find some of the parts for it. If I can find the drive parts it needs, and a shift lever, then I'll restore it. If not, then who knows what it will become? I should be able to steal those parts off another ariens, as they seem to have used the same drive system for about 20 years. We'll see