bo dawg

Gas valve shut off on bottom of tank

bo dawg

Working on the 520H and noticed the fuel tank had a bunch of crap in the bottom which looked like small pieces of black rubber or something. So I went to taking apart to pull the tank out to clean it out and replace all fuel line and filter. I pulled the shutoff valve out to check screen and float, now that I'm all clean inside and out I cant get the shutoff valve boot thing back in the hole. The more I try the more I'm damaging the rubber boot part that gos up in the hole to seal.

What is the smart or best way to get it back in??? I'm afraid I damaged it too much now to the point of trying to walk it in using a screw driver to help push it. Tried some lube on it but seem to soften it too much.

RandyLittrell

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rotary-fuel-tank-bushing-1234309?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1234309&gclid=CjwKCAjwoKDXBRAAEiwA4xnqv-2zOmatqiTQKHY4rbYmTBt-G0QLI8VrQEGi7522VYhD3oeeNLOCOxoC_GAQAvD_BwE

Tractor supply had it for a buck 29 and ebay was higher, just get you a new one. A little lube and she will slide right in!! 

Randy

• Like 2

Daddy Don

I used Vaseline on the rubber and it helped me get it in without any problem.

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
14 minutes ago, Daddy Don said:

I used Vaseline on the rubber and it helped me get it in without any problem.

I used to work on a sprint car and the guy that built our motors always used it when building trannies! 

Randy

moe1965

I just bought this one on eBay. 11 bucks or so. They also sold the rubber grommets in avteo pack.  I used oil and pushed mine in kinda a push and a twist. 

Screenshot_20180407-084630.png

• Like 2

clueless

Insert the valve into the rubber grommet, not all the way, about half way, then push the whole thing in the tank hole. I've done this several times, it works great, if you have a little bearing grease put a dab around the bottom of the grommet, Vaseline works well.

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:      Insert the valve till the first barb is just in the flange of the grommet, then twist and push the grommet into the tank. 

After the grommet is fully inserted,  push the valve in to expand the grommet.     

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:      Insert the valve till the first barb is just in the flange of the grommet, then twist and push the grommet into the tank. 

After the grommet is fully inserted,  push the valve in to expand the grommet.     

This comment by Ed explains exactly the problem you are having.Knowing why a problem exists is always the answer to the solution if I make any sense. Inserting the rubber plug with the valve fully inserted makes the rubber plug too wide for opening by not allowing it to compress and also creating too much friction. Rubber on plastic also  has more friction than metal on rubber. Once rubber plug is fully inserted then the valve will go right is not only because of the least friction but also due to its design. :dunno:

• Like 2

bo dawg

Thanks guys. I didn’t think about pulling the valve out of rubber. It’s stuck together right now.  I’m afraid of tearing up the screen but I will give it a try.

formariz

Although it is somewhat nice to have the screen if you loose it it is not the end of the world. That screen gets mangled up eventually anyway and worse it gets clogged. I actually remove the screens and add an additional fuel filter right outside of tank. That way tank is always clear of debris.It is a lot easier to replace outside filter than it is to remove plug to clean tank. I think you already realized that.

• Thanks 1