SPINJIM

Last Week's Haul, 520H, 518H etc. More than I can chew?

SPINJIM

Picked up some 'barn finds' last week:  a 1988 518H, a 1990 520H with swept axle, a 1992 520H 'roller' with reduction steering, three decks, and a plow.   None have run in 2 to five years.  I'm hoping to get one or two running tractors out of them, and probably part out the leftovers.   If I can get the 18hp running, I might put it on one of the 520s.   But I'm running into a difference in the wiring from 1988 to 1992.    The 518 has a starter solenoid, and the 520 has relays or direct wiring to the starter.   I've downloaded and studied the wiring diagrams, but the 500 series tractors are MUCH more complicated than the Kohler single cylinders that I've worked on before.    Anyone have experience putting an older 18hp onto a newer 520H ?   If the 18hp Onan doesn't run, I might go with a HF Predator, but I would lose some of the features of the 520.   Any advice much appreciated.

Jim

P1010817.JPG

• Like 9

littleredrider

I haven’t done the swap, but if you need wiring I’m gona be taking it off mine soon. I think it’s a 91 or 92, need to look at serial again. It does have the relays, you mentioning in reminded me. Going with a diesel so wiring work anyways lol. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Nice haul, good luck getting them going!

WVHillbilly520H

@cleat, maybe you can shed some light on the differences between model year wiring with the Onan powered :wh:.

• Like 1

roadapples
7 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

, maybe you can shed some light on the differences between model year wiring with the Onan powered :wh:.

@ericj