Southerncannuck

Rebuild or buy new?

Southerncannuck

My starter really drags for a few revolutions (barely turns over) then it spins the Kohler K301 like a champ. I replaced the battery with a 390 CCA interstate. 

I suspect the brushes are damaged from previously having an underpowered battery. Should I replace the brushes or replace the starter?  Also, what is a reputable place to buy these items?  I don't want to buy junk. 

Daddy Don

I had my rebuilt It works great just like new and cheaper than a new one.

• Like 1

953 nut

With any electrical problem the first thing to do is clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. Lots of people spend lots of money replacing good parts when the problem was voltage drop at a bad connection.

• Like 3

Southerncannuck

Thanks for the advise. I made sure that all points of electrical contact were clean and tight. I also cleaned the points that meet the brushes. 

It turned out to be the worm gear on the starter shaft wasn't clean enough to allow it to function properly. I cleaned and lubed it. 

In the process I got it to work and I learned how a bendix works. A double win. 

Edited by Southerncannuck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• windish62
      By windish62
      New to the forum.
      I just bought my first wheel horse, it's a c125 8 speed with a 10 hp k241 so it's been repowered I take it.
      My concern is when rototilling in first gear low I cant just let the clutch out and let the tractor do its thing I have to keep in and out of the clutch to let the motor catch back up. 
      Is the motor tired or is the tractor underpowered?
      I have not cleaned the carb or done anything to the tractor yet for that matter. Just trying to get a feel for it. 
    • Tim Fenn
      By Tim Fenn
      I've just acquired a renovated C125 but unfortunately the drive belt got snagged with the mower deck belt (maybe because of incorrect fitment?). It looks like I'm on a steep learning curve! I've been trying to find out which belt to buy as a replacement. The belt I've just taken off is 94 inches but  according to the parts manual I need a Toro belt part number 94 2501 which is 103 inches? The mower deck is a 42in rear eject. It's funny that the Toro belt has 94 2501 as the part number but is 103 inches & I apparently need a 94in belt? Any ideas? 
    • Southkraut
      By Southkraut
      Was looking to buy rear hitch assembly on eBay don’t know what is comparable with my ‘84 c125. They all look the same. Is there much of any difference through the models? 

• Tuneup
      By Tuneup
      Hi all,

I was finally able to take a week off and lost myself in catching-up on the '80 C-125. I've had the engine sitting rebuilt on the bench - repaired the Hi/Lo last year -  and was finally able to run her in last Tuesday after mounting. She only needed rings and a good valve lap. There is no end to the money that can be spent on a restoration or the amount of time in grinding, priming and painting with old Regal Red. At this rate, it will be summer before I'm done but it will have been worth the love. The 42" deck can use some minor welding but I had everything operational before I tore her down. Too much repair to list as this poor girl was buried in a southern backyard. Enjoy the pics - August last year after dragging it onto the trailer, this past Tuesday for break-in and just a few minutes ago. Back to work tomorrow so no more fun all day in the garage but should at least have the covers on when the Jacks belt and PTO brake order gets here later in the week.

• Welsh Wheelhorses
      By Welsh Wheelhorses
      Hi I need seals for the 8 speed uni drive on my c125 which has 1 1/8 axles, I would like to get them from my local supplier but I need the sizes. What are the measurements for the axle seals, input seal and brake shaft seal? Thanks