Bowdoinham Dan

Raider 10 won't start

Bowdoinham Dan

I've got a Raider 10 that won't start and am not sure what to do, but I suspect that something needs replacing. 

ENGINE MODEL: KOHLER K241S 10HP

WHAT HAPPENS:  I turn the ignition and hear a loud buzz/crackling sound coming from somewhere in the vicinity of the starter/battery area (PICTURED).  I turn the ignition over again and the sound repeats.  I turn it over a third time and it's dead. 

RECENT MAINTENANCE:  Replaced/patched some wiring, new battery (charged yesterday, had been sitting for the winter), new spark plugs.  I'm an idiot with the internal combustion and am probably in over my head with this thing, but willing to give it my best go with good guidance.  Would really love to get the tiller running for the spring. 

Thanks gang

Dan

IMG_4809.png

953 nut

With any electrical problem the first thing you need to do is have the battery load tested, auto parts stores do it for free. Next, clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. Don't buy any new parts or change anything until you have done these things.

• Like 2

Bowdoinham Dan

What kind of result am I looking for when I load test the battery?  Electrical connections are good.  I spent a few hours replacing old wire terminals and patching frayed wire.  Everything's making good contact, no rust or anything. 

ebinmaine

Hi fellow Mainah!!

4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds. Don't buy any new parts or change anything until you have done these things

I want to put a second motion on what dick said above. I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure that your grounds are sparkling clean.

It's possible that the starter itself and its mount to the engine is a bad ground because of dirt or dust or oil.

This is -hopefully- a fairly easy fix. I've been through this just recently with two different tractors.

If you do this in the dark can you see any Sparks?

Can you make any videos or even audio recordings of what is happening?

• Like 2

953 nut
4 hours ago, Bowdoinham Dan said:

result am I looking for when I load test the battery?

The auto parts store can tell if the battery voltage is dropping too low when it is under a heavy load. The clicking sound is the solenoid chattering due to low voltage. That could be caused by a poor ground some where, other bad connections or a bad battery. Rather than guessing over the internet it would be better to have the battery tested, Many times a poor connection will become evident because of heat developed or even smoke or sparks as Eric said.

Bowdoinham Dan

Thanks everyone.  Funny-- I went and tried it again today and it started.  I didn't do anything to it.    I've got a video loaded with the sound. What do you all make of the all the sounds before it starts now that you can hear it?   Low voltage battery issue as 953 nut says? Oh and also if you look carefully you'll see a spark fly out in the video between the 5 and 6 second mark.  What's that all about?

Video link on YouTube:

Edited by Bowdoinham Dan
  • Like 1

pfrederi

Clattering could be the solenoid not having a good ground.  Take it off and clean up the mounting tabs /bolts

• Like 1

Bowdoinham Dan
13 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Clattering could be the solenoid not having a good ground.  Take it off and clean up the mounting tabs /bolts

The solenoid is the black cylinder, right?

pfrederi

yes

ebinmaine

Dan, I'm quite sure I saw a spark at about the five or six second mark.

It would be fantastic if somebody else could start the tractor while you figure out where that spark is coming from. Pretty likely it is a bad cable end or bad ground.

If it is one of the larger cables they are available at a local auto parts store.

My best advice would be to remove the battery and both cables.

Remove the starter and it's cable.

Remove the solenoid and all of its connections.

Get hold of a wire brush on every end of every cable and the mounting points for the solenoid and the starter.

Pretty likely you'll solve the problem by disassembly ... wire brushing and reassembly.

• Like 1

953 nut
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

My best advice would be to remove the battery and both cables.

Remove the starter and it's cable.

Remove the solenoid and all of its connections.

Get hold of a wire brush on every end of every cable and the mounting points for the solenoid and the starter.

Pretty likely you'll solve the problem by disassembly ... wire brushing and reassembly.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

:text-+1: Yup, these old things can look great on the surface, but it only takes one bad connection! 

Randy

• Excellent 1

Bowdoinham Dan

Thanks everyone-

Have started it successfully without issue for a few days now!  And no sparks.  When I find some time I'll clean all of the cable ends and attachment points.

ebinmaine
On 4/29/2018 at 10:59 PM, RandyLittrell said:

old things can look great on the surface, but it only takes one bad connection! 

Hehehe

That describes ......... me !!!

@Bowdoinham Dan... Nice !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
On 4/29/2018 at 10:59 PM, RandyLittrell said:

old things can look great on the surface, but

Image result for i resemble that remark

• Haha 2