Sparky

The view from my office window today.

stevasaurus

I remember in boot camp in San Diego...the USS Enterprise came into harbor.  It was so big on the horizon that you had the feeling that the earth was moving instead of the ship.  I will never forget that.  :USA:

• Like 3

rjg854
8 hours ago, WHX17 said:

Keep an eye out for my old alma mater!

4054246-1521572126.jpg

Which was your boat?  My son served on the Tennessee for 9 years. 

RandyLittrell

I was in Charleston, SC back in the 90's and toured Patriots Point. The USS Yorktown is the carrier there I think and even though I know its probably small by todays standards, I couldn't believe how massive it was. It seemed so big, the steel is so thick, you just think, how in the world does this thing float!! And the sub there is so tiny, I would freek out in something like that! 

Randy

• Like 2

WHX??

Amen Dino...yer heart's definitely in the right place....:USA:

• Like 1

Cvans
9 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Those 2 sailors standing on the pointy end of that ship are watching out for big rocks in the water.  :occasion-xmas:  Nice pictures.

Those guys are the anti-submarine warfare (ASW) department. They also watch for the mail buoy. Everyone has stood mail buoy watch at least once. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??
22 hours ago, Sparky said:

packed with jets! You can see em all on the top deck.

That's odd, usually air wings were taken on board after the ship is well out to sea. safer and less draft than having a full compliment when entering or leaving port.

WHX??
18 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Which was your boat?  My son served on the Tennessee for 9 years. 

Really, be sure to thank him from us :flags-usa: 

I was on the USS Andrew Jackson, a boat much like your boy's only a bit smaller. Other boats as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Andrew_Jackson_(SSBN-619

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tennessee_(SSBN-734

• Like 1

rjg854

And a big :thanks: for your service as well :text-bravo:

• Thanks 1

Sparky

I'm glad to see so many of you enjoying this thread.

Call me weird but I could sit and watch boats for hours. Set me up at a boat launch to a local lake and I can watch boats going in and out all day!

Of course Pearl Harbor is a happening place so there are boats going by ALL day long.

Couple from today....

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug:  Wonder...

do they ever do any battle field reenactments there, like Gettysburg does? 

Now, that would be something to see.   :greetings-clapyellow:

• Like 2

Sparky
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:confusion-shrug:  Wonder...

do they ever do any battle field reenactments there, like Gettysburg does? 

Now, that would be something to see.   :greetings-clapyellow:

Would be tough to coordinate a re-enactment of planes attacking I bet. They would definitely have to put guys in the air traffic tower! I’ve been coming here for work for 18 years now and for the first 10 this tower was left alone. Had bullet holes from the Pearl Harbor attack and patina from age. Maybe 8-10 years ago it was restored. Looks great and all but it was only original once 🙁. Snapped these on my way home tonight. 

What do ya think about those clouds!! 

B184409C-F7B2-4231-8ABF-60A645B522CD.jpeg

C4018330-AE20-400F-BD74-186C464006BF.jpeg

8674BE89-286B-4F78-87F3-2E4E8BE2E087.jpeg

• Like 3

Cvans

You get hit with the earthquake? 

Sparky
21 minutes ago, Cvans said:

You get hit with the earthquake? 

Nope. I’m on Oahu which is about 210 miles away from the big island of Hawaii. 

• Thanks 1

clueless

Now days if you keep taking pictures of Navy ships, and the base, you may get some visitors at your door.

• Like 1

WHX??

Nice pics Sparkeye :thanks:

That tower reminds me of the sub escape trainer in New London CT.

I know what you mean about boats coming and going. Being a Midwesterner we never saw that.One of these days I need to get my old photos like that out and digitize them.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I go on Google Map often, do the satellite view, and go searching for Naval Yards.  San Diego, Norfolk and others.  Almost any large city from any country has a port you can zoom in on.  Try Petropavlask (sp) or the Polyony Inlet.  Excellent way to spend an afternoon.  :)  You would be surprised how many flat tops, ships and subs you can zoom in on.  Scroll around the Black Sea sometime, or find Adak, Alaska

• Like 3

Sparky
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

I go on Google Map often, do the satellite view, and go searching for Naval Yards.  San Diego, Norfolk and others.  Almost any large city from any country has a port you can zoom in on.  Try Petropavlask (sp) or the Polyony Inlet.  Excellent way to spend an afternoon.  :)  You would be surprised how many flat tops, ships and subs you can zoom in on.  Scroll around the Black Sea sometime, or find Adak, Alaska

Your right on that Steve. When I snag a pic from my window on the second floor there are at least a dozen folks standing near the water taking pics. The air traffic tower is now part of the Pacific Aviation Museum (open to the public armed with cameras)

• Like 2

clueless
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Steve, you know every time you Google Earth a Military Installation, someone is checking on you. Yea, I know I sound paranoid, I'm not, I just worked for DOD for 41 years. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@clueless  I know that.  Not much happens that somebody is not watching now days.   That is probably why my skype is not working correctly.  We have used way too many key words when talking to red square members that are over seas.  Being paranoid has nothing to do with it, being smart on social media does.  :)  I'm thinking they already know I am harmless.  :USA:  I mention Adak only because I had a very good chance to be stationed there.  Did you know that there is a girl behind every tree on that island??  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
22 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Try Petropavlask (sp) or the Polyony Inlet. 

Now I wanna go watch The Hunt For Red October!!!

Randy

• Like 3

Sarge

Seeing a boat coming in my neck of the woods is either on one of the rivers (barge) or something on a trailer that is never going to fit through our Work Zone...lol. I love watching the big ships, just wish the coast wasn't so far away.

Sarge

• Like 3